Talk

Advanced search

David Cameron should SO not have said this...

(17 Posts)
theanimalswentintwobytwo Wed 22-Jun-11 14:25:01

David Cameron said: "There are moments when I wake up and read the newspapers and think: 'I tell you what, you do the fighting and I'll do the talking'." refering to the Military chiefs concerns about the financial obligations of our attacks on Libya

Full story here

Does he have a CLUE about how much of a twat he sounds???

Is he trying to make all of the armed services thing he's a pompous git? (and those of us who support our troops!)

SERIOUSLY!!!!! What a twat!

(Argh...rant over...for now...need wine...but only lunchtime...oh well brew will have to do...)

SalmeMurrikAgain Wed 22-Jun-11 21:29:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 23-Jun-11 06:08:36

I can understand why he's annoyed. There's always been an understanding in the armed forces that any disagreements with their paymasters i.e. the government, are debated and settled in private. But recently it seems that every five minutes some military bigwig is standing on his soapbox, dishing out criticism, ruining morale and probably giving any enemies we have a gleeful hand-rubbing opportunity. Maybe DC sounded tetchy, but I can see where it's coming from.

ChairOfTheBored Thu 23-Jun-11 12:47:50

But it seems to me the Conservative party encouraged that when, in the lead up to the 2010 election, they encouraged a serving senior army officer to speak out about the previous government's policies.

He can't now grump that they refuse to just go do as they're told, while fighting in two conflicts, plus on-going duties elsewhere, while facing massive cuts.

'Just go fight, and possibly die, while I do the grand statesman like posturing' isn't really the best way to endear himself to the ranks...

NormanTebbit Thu 23-Jun-11 12:50:37

I think, good for them. They are showing loyalty to the people serving our country - and they are serving our country while David Cameron is having botox treatments.

EldritchCleavage Fri 24-Jun-11 15:41:38

There's always been an understanding in the armed forces that any disagreements with their paymasters i.e. the government, are debated and settled in private.

Well yes, but DC and co didn't mind when the the senior ranks did this to the last government, in fact to my mind they appeared to encourage it. So it's a bit rich to expect them to stop just because it is now a Tory-led govt in power.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 24-Jun-11 15:58:09

Of course they didn't mind when Labour were on the receiving end. But that doesn't mean the new government should accept the same treatment or allow the armed forces to carry on like (no pun intended) loose cannon.

somethingwitty82 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:05:06

Cameron needs to STFU, he does not know the first thing about combat logistics, not one scooby about what numbers are needed or in what combinations, how many of these fuckers have served in the military?

Disgraceful to put on soldier in the lords for speaking out and then telling the others to die without questioning why.

cunt!

Northernlurker Fri 24-Jun-11 20:09:46

At least one MP knows exactly what active service means. Unfortunately for Cameron Dan Jarvis is a Labour MP......

ChairOfTheBored Fri 24-Jun-11 20:25:56

Cogito but they actively encouraged it, so yes, they should suck it up now.

madwomanintheattic Fri 24-Jun-11 20:48:18

oh dear. that'll be a vote winner in the usually conservative military circles, eh?

own goal, dave. particularly with the increased impetus to get service personnel and their families back onto the electoral roll if they've slipped off, and voting.

<sigh>

ThePathanKhansWoman Fri 24-Jun-11 20:51:32

I think the man just thinks everyones his fag utterly beneath him.

edam Sat 25-Jun-11 00:33:51

Nice to see him revealing his true colours again, only this time to people who might be considered his natural supporters.

Patronising, arrogant, stupid little shit that he is.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 25-Jun-11 08:38:55

So everyone's happy with the idea that we should live in a country where the military tell the government what to do, rather than the other way around?.... interesting...

purepurple Sat 25-Jun-11 08:43:37

Not at all cogitoergosometimes, but even I recognise that the military, having years of experience are more likely to actually know what they are talking about.
Unlike Dave. Who knows nothing about a lot of things.

ChairOfTheBored Sat 25-Jun-11 08:47:05

No Cogito not at all. But there's a world of difference between that and what we have here. Which is a high handed condescending man, who actively encouraged the politicisation of the military for his own end in 2010, now getting hissy that the same military speak out against having to fight 2 conflicts while facing massive cuts.

If it wrong for them to do it now, he should have said so when it was Labour they were kickinh.

ChairOfTheBored Sat 25-Jun-11 08:47:17

Kicking, even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now