Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are any of your kids' schools staying open on 30 June? And how? Ideas please!

(38 Posts)
Partypopper Mon 20-Jun-11 10:41:09

Just wondering if any schools are staying open and how?!
I appreciate there might not be lessons as usual (and I think that would be the point made in terms of the strike), but are any schools drawing on other resource like parents, governors etc so that kids can still go and the disruption is minimised? Am planning to pass on any ideas to our schools (will be a major logistical issue for us if they close!)

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 10:43:39

Haven't heard that they are closing yet.

LilyBolero Mon 20-Jun-11 10:45:18

Our's will be, but until things are finalised I don't think logistics can be planned.

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 10:53:57

Not heard yet if ours will be open.

Teachers cannot normally cover for striking colleagues. So unless you have a high proportion of ATL teachers, who can exercise their "conscience clause", then options are limited. TAs are normally also bound not to cover for strikes - unless it is specified in their employment contact that they must (rare, probably private sector only).

I don't know the situation for governors and parents. If they are CRB checked, then they might be able to do some basic supervision. But they wouldn't have the experience to take charge in the school setting (unless a former teacher) and I suspect there would be regulatory and insurance issues.

Partypopper Mon 20-Jun-11 11:06:38

Fair enough on not covering teaching, but if there's a way the kids can still go and be properly supervised, would be good to do. I'm sure the teachers don't want maximum disruption, not having a day's education is pretty powerful in itself. I really respect the teachers and the point they're making- just trying to see if there are some creative ways schools minimise the impact for families without trashing their cause.

I don't think people need to be CRB checked for one day? will phone the CRB and find out...

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 11:18:29

I thought yes, for unsupervised access.

Governors and regular parent volunteers will probably have already been checked by the school.

ProfYaffle Mon 20-Jun-11 11:20:42

Ours had an inset day planned for the 30th anyway, guess any striking teachers will just miss out on whatever training type thing they had planned.

Fimbo Mon 20-Jun-11 11:21:30

Our school have an inset day that day. But does that mean teachers can boycott the inset day?

Fimbo Mon 20-Jun-11 11:22:18

Snap Prof, being from the same part of the country n'all wink.

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 11:29:53

This is what OFSTED has to say about the need for CRB checks for visiting staff (which is essentially the role such volunteers would be taking):

"Visiting staff who do have unsupervised access to children and young people – such as educational psychologists, social workers, supply teachers, trainee teachers, nurses, sports coaches, MOD personnel and inspectors – should be CRB checked by their 'providing' organisation: the supply agency, the university, primary care trust, local authority and so on".

ProfYaffle Mon 20-Jun-11 11:32:21

I just read yours as 'incest day', which is Normal for this area I guess wink grin

bumpybecky Mon 20-Jun-11 11:36:47

my dc are at 3 schools between them, none of the schools has given any info yet, so not sure if they're striking or not

Partypopper Mon 20-Jun-11 11:40:54

CRB say people helping out could just to be classed as a school visitor instead of a volunteer and therefore don't need a check (presumably they wont have unsupervised access).
This is the sort thing I think should be left to the Head to make a professional judgement- they understand best how to manage these sort of things. I'm sure if they judged there was a real risk, they won't do it. Suppose it depends on the mix of people you have available on the day..

mummytime Mon 20-Jun-11 11:59:59

Neither of my kids schools have said they will be shut.

bitsyandbetty Mon 20-Jun-11 14:50:02

Ours is not closing as most teachers are in NASUWT.

mycatoscar Mon 20-Jun-11 15:02:32

i'm in NASUWT as are most of the other teachers at my school - we wont be closing

BUT, my daughters school wont tell me whether they will or will not open. I cant see how they dont know, if my school does!

Don't know when they will tell us but if past experience is anything to go by it will probably be the day beforehand! Will be begging for permission to take my dd into my school I guess.

psiloveyou Tue 21-Jun-11 12:15:54

Mine are at 3 different schools. I phoned yesterday and all three are open as usual.

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 21-Jun-11 12:19:30

On the last occasiona that my children's school was closed due to strike action (it was a school specific issue) then free childcare was offered by the TA's, the after school club staff and non striking union members.

Don't think they will be closed this time as the issue seems to be a government one and it is indpenendent.

xiaoqkk Tue 21-Jun-11 12:29:56

Message deleted

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Tue 21-Jun-11 17:47:00

shock we haven't heard they are closing - presume the deafult position is they are open till we are informed otherwise confused Last time there was a strike only a few classes were affected, including DS2, but we took DS1 out as well and had a fun day at a theme park, as our strike against the strikers grin

meditrina Tue 21-Jun-11 17:56:33

You might want to look at this thread too. It's far from clear how much notice anyone will get.

This must continue to be concerning for employers of parents who may feel the knock on effects in their workplaces, especially one's where you need minimum numbers to operate safely or indeed at all. Not knowing makes contingency planning for them needlessly over-complicated. Not savvy - unless public support isn't the aim.

Hulababy Tue 21-Jun-11 18:07:47

AFAIK my DD's school is staying open. It is a small independent school so they don't legally need that many teachers in to keep the school open. I have no idea if any of the teachers there are striking.

At the infant school I work at I believe there are 4 or 5 teachers striking. I am not sure what this means to the school as yet, but we have definitely not been told that there are any plans to close. I assume they must be hoping to get supply on. Maybe the ead and deputy (both non teaching staff at present) may cover the lessons. As a TA I don't think I am allowed to cover for a striking colleague.

pointythings Tue 21-Jun-11 22:14:47

I've just had a letter today from DD1's school - they are closing. Last time round they were both at primary (where DD2 still is, we are 3 tier) and they did not strike - will see what happens. DH has 7 days of use it or lose it annual leave, so is taking the 3oth off. (I'd normally work from home to cover something like this, but our admin is off on compassionate leave so I am on admin duty as well as IT duty. Suspect I will be covering in the autumn, because this will happen again).

FWIW the teachers have my support, as does everyone else this government of out of touch millionnaires is bashing.

Hulababy Wed 22-Jun-11 13:48:46

Just found out about the school I work at. If the class teacher is striking, then the class is closed for the day. If the teacher is not strikin then that class remains open.

My class teacher is striking. I will be going in on the day and will do admin type stuff, get drawers and books ready for next academic year, etc.

saladfingers Wed 22-Jun-11 14:53:50

My DD's school has majority of classes closed but 4 classes will be open

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now