Talk

Advanced search

Women in KSA driving. What do you think?

(19 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 19-Jun-11 09:43:08

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13809684
I think it is a good thing. I doubt that anything will change with regard to women's rights there, but anything that draws attention to the hideous conditions that women live under is a good thing. Right?

ExpatAgain Sun 19-Jun-11 09:48:35

hope it;'s legalised. awful situation at the moment wiith women either stuck at home or spending MOST of their income on some dodgy male driver or having to rely on willing/available male relative. Abhorrent, primitive culture!

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 19-Jun-11 10:55:16

I would like to see it legalised, I doubt it will happen though.

xiaosww Sun 19-Jun-11 12:24:31

Message deleted

RobF Tue 21-Jun-11 18:25:46

If it is legalised, what are they going to do? The roads will be a nightmare with loads of new women drivers all starting at once. They will probably have to stagger it, say over 30s for a year, then over 25s, then over 21s, then over 17s, or whatever the age is for driving over there.

Mellowfruitfulness Tue 21-Jun-11 18:37:55

I think they are very brave - I am constantly astounded by just how brave some of the protesters in the Middle East are! I wish them the very best of luck, and hope they manage to achieve a situation in which it is acceptable for women to drive.

RobF - joke, yes? confused

dadof2ofthem Tue 21-Jun-11 18:49:14

a woman was detained last week for driving and you-tubing it in saudi, her ballsy freind was on 'womans hour' a week or two ago, i thought she was taking a huge risk actually, but yeah, if no one is willing to risk thier life nothing ever changes, i worry for her safety though.
i just checked the bbc podcast page and that program has fallen off, shame it was very good , maybe there is a bbc archive ? i dont know .

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 22-Jun-11 08:22:50

Rob, you are joking right? Have you actually been to KSA and seen the level of driving ability?
We lived in Oman and drove to the border of KSA. It was frightening.

RobF Thu 23-Jun-11 17:34:01

"Rob, you are joking right? Have you actually been to KSA and seen the level of driving ability?
We lived in Oman and drove to the border of KSA. It was frightening."
It will be even worse with millions of women suddenly taking to the roads.

Mellowfruitfulness Thu 23-Jun-11 18:32:23

Easy to sort that one, RobF. Make it illegal for men to drive themselves around. If women and men aren't to be on the roads at the same time, they could have alternate days.

RobF Thu 23-Jun-11 18:35:25

How will men get to work? I don't think many Saudi women work for a living. Most of them just want to drive so that they can go shopping.

scurryfunge Thu 23-Jun-11 18:37:30

RobF, best keep the women off the roads then, you twat.

RobF Thu 23-Jun-11 18:38:34

Women should be able to drive. But allowing millions of new women drivers onto the roads all at once will be a nightmare. As I have said, it should be staggered over a few years.

SherbetDibDab Thu 23-Jun-11 18:46:39

RobF clearly never requires stuff from shops or perhaps he always works to get his groceries. Saves the car for his important man work.

RobF Thu 23-Jun-11 19:28:18

I do always work to get my groceries.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 06:49:26

RobF for example is a twat.

purepurple Mon 27-Jun-11 07:29:11

It's not just about letting women drive. It's pointless unless there is a real cultural change.
Some places, women just can't go on their own.
I have been to Saudi and being on the roads was a frightening expereince. Children driving cars sat on cushions so they can see over the steering wheel. And everyone beeps their horns continually. DH had an accident when someone drove into him. But it was automatically his fault as he was a foreigner in their country.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 08:47:26

I agree with you 100% pure, however, it would be a start.

alexpolismum Tue 28-Jun-11 10:10:51

RobF - Did you miss the part about international driving licences? A lot of these women are not new drivers, but have driven abroad. They are not all suddenly going to start learning on the same day or anything. They know how to drive already, they have licences issued in other countries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now