Talk

Advanced search

cornrow ruling

(28 Posts)
starlady Sat 18-Jun-11 12:00:06

I'm really curious as to what people think about this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13803106
I'm curently talking to my yr5 some about the prospect he'll have to cut his long hair to go in a short back and sides for secondary schools. Does this mean everyone can wear their hair as they please now?

I'm not sure what I think of it. How are cornrows are different to long hair in general for boys?

Be very curious to hear what Afro-Carribean mums think of this ruling too.

ChristinedePizan Sat 18-Jun-11 12:09:33

I can't see anything wrong with his hair. Why can't children wear the hairstyles they choose if they aren't going to be hazardous when working with machinery or the teacher can't see their face?

Thank goodness the court has seen sense

BitOfFun Sat 18-Jun-11 12:12:10

Can you link it properly please? I can't always copy and paste from a phone.

ChristinedePizan Sat 18-Jun-11 12:14:37

Here you go BOF

BitOfFun Sat 18-Jun-11 12:16:05

Thanks

onagar Sat 18-Jun-11 12:20:34

I think that a teacher showing this much interest in the personal appearance of pupils should be watched closely and encouraged to have counselling.

Is this what keeps them going through all the training? That one day they might be in a position to tell other people's kids how to part their hair and what color underwear to put on.

starlady Sat 18-Jun-11 12:24:50

Yeah, I don't think it's a safety issue with cornrows (or even for boys with long hair because they could, like girls, tie it up). It's that uniform thing.

I do see where the school is coming from on this - they can ban certain styles, like skinheads. I do worry, white racists might turn round and claim they can have skin-head hairdos, as it's 'cultural' for them.

For the record, I don't like skinheads, or tramlines, but I do like long hair on boys and cornrows. It's not aesthetics though - it's just the issue of keeping uniformity if you're going to bother having a uniform.

allhailtheaubergine Sat 18-Jun-11 12:25:53

I find it fascinating and baffling that people care about children's hairstyles or personal appearance choices. Or anyone's for that matter.

I think as long as you're reasonably clean, don't smell, and are practically clothed for your day then... who gives a crap?

I'm not being snippy. I just find that no matter how hard I try to think about it from other people's point of view I just cannot work out why anybody would care about a boy with cornrows / a boy with long hair / a girl in a headscarf / a girl in trousers.

With regard to your DS having to cut his hair for Secondary school, it really depends on the school. DS1's (and in September, long-haired DS2) school allows long hair on boys as long as it's clean and tidy. It's not as if they're lax on uniform either, they are very very strict on it and will send pupils home if they contravene the rules. I can't see how a school can justify banning long hair on boys if they allow it for girls anyway!

With regards to the boy with cornrows - I think his hair is very smart. It's tidy, it's not outrageous or 'out there' so I'm not seeing what the problem is apart from the school having a short hair only rule. I'm curious why this got as far as it did though. Surely the school must have seen his hair when he had interviews prior to starting, why did it get to the first day of school?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 18-Jun-11 12:36:14

Personal appearance is relevant for schools. Simply put, having clear rules about appearance helps considerably with discipline. One of the first things new headteachers will do when turning around a failing school is introduce or tighten up on uniform policy and then get parents and pupils to sign up to it. It's a hardy perennial that some kid will take umbrage & challenge the rules. Wouldn't be summer without one of them in the papers looking po-faced because they weren't allowed jewellery, a hair-do, a piece of clothing, long/short/wide/narrow skirt (delete as applicable according to fashion of the day).

Storm in a teacup

BitOfFun Sat 18-Jun-11 12:39:44

I can see the point on insisting on neat and tidy hair, but it is discriminatory to disallow cornrows on a boy or girl for whom they are culturally normal.

onagar Sat 18-Jun-11 20:24:03

, having clear rules about appearance helps considerably with discipline.

That's a circular argument really. If you are going to have rules about appearance then yes it it important that they be clear and enforced, but having rules about appearance doesn't in itself help with discipline. You could just not have rules about appearance and instead concentrate on teaching.

If having everyone look the same is so important I expect the schools resent having to have any black kids at all. They don't match the color scheme do they.

JemimaMop Sat 18-Jun-11 20:31:06

I think the cultural thing with cornrows is the fact that slaves had their heads shaved and when they were freed they grew their hair. So you could argue that it is different to long hair in general.

I don't see the problem though with long hair as long as it is tidy. How is a boy with long hair in a ponytail different to a girl with long hair in a ponytail?

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 20:37:49

ahh.i usd to get stick fom my boss at >name of large supermarket< because one of my colleagues had afro hair - really wild, wonderful, like a black cloud - which was seen as down to my lack of adequate management skill to 'influence' him into a smart appearance - when he had cornbraids put in (which i think took 5 hours) my manager was actually pleased cos he thought it looked neater...i was off the hook.
personally i liked the cloud, but agreed it didn't look 'corporate'

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 20:39:07

My brother, if you remember my thread about his hair, still has long hair, and is still unemployed. I waswrong n one thing though - he doesn't wear it in a pony tail to interviews. he wore it in a bun.

TimeWasting Sat 18-Jun-11 20:50:58

Eggy, a bun?! That fact is more likely to stop him getting a job than the long hair itself. grin

somethingwitty82 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:51:33

What slaves would that be? the domesday book record 10% of the British population were slaves, the Romans had slaves...

This is absurd, children in Africa would in no way get away with this haircut going to school, I hope now in the name of fairness all white children can have mohawks,skin heads and dye their skin blue with woad, its cultural after all

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 20:54:45

somethingwitty - prior to the married womans property act of 1856, arguably 50% of the population of the UK were slaves...

but price of fish?

somethingwitty82 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:59:19

I think the cultural thing with cornrows is the fact that slaves had their heads shaved and when they were freed they grew their hair. So you could argue that it is different to long hair in general.

maypole1 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:03:54

The thing is if your black yo can't were your hair long with out it looking wild so you have to can row it if your a man

And his assertion that cain row is linked to gangs shows that the head teacher know nothing about the black culture or the black students he has in his school

My son had Cain row when he was little till he was 6 as in the black culture its not really the done thing to cut a boys hair before he says his first word I am sure you have all seen little black boys with plaits.

If the head was talking about a shaved head with a pattern then I would agree but Cain row is really nothing more than a way for a black man to keep his long hair neat.

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 21:07:29

DBRO2 complete with bonce.

i don't buy it myself, i don't believe that the only culturally appopriate hairstyle would have been that one. but what the hell, i think its better for kids to be allowed to have more freedom in hairstyle at school - enjoy that freedom whilst you are too young to worry about job prospects.

my mum had hell at school - endless coiffing to tame her celt-fro into acceptable curls...much better if it had been OK unaltered.

maypole1 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:17:42

Ehhh what else would you suggest then for a black boy with Afro hair if you look around at black children you will clearly see its either Cain row or dead locks that's the only way you can keep a afro neat unless you no somthing I , my mum , my gran or millions of other black women don't know
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MtgLJCGM3Rc/TbFSJCFo27I/AAAAAAAAB_I/Cb32RoGA06k/s1600/Afro%2BHair%2Bstyles.jpg

As you can see from the picture the Cain rowed section immidaley looks neater as as we don't have the texture of a white persons hair an pony tell won't really work and those white mums who have mixed raced children will tell you

maypole1 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:18:13

4.bp.blogspot.com/-MtgLJCGM3Rc/TbFSJCFo27I/AAAAAAAAB_I/Cb32RoGA06k/s1600/Afro%2BHair%2Bstyles.jpg

TimeWasting Sat 18-Jun-11 21:21:15

Eggy, they made her? shock

Maybe your bro is looking for the wrong sort of job. Or you could buy him some hair straighteners, curls are seen as unprofessional unfortunately. sad

EggyAllenPoe Sat 18-Jun-11 23:21:45

well, it was the fifteies..her mum took her to the hairdresser every week to tame the frizz. an hour with her hair in rollers..
pictures of my dad from that period show him with his hair slicked back (his university pictures have him with beard and floppy locks)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now