Talk

Advanced search

Breaking news, mum and baby shot dead in Essex

(27 Posts)
Imnotaslimjim Mon 06-Jun-11 11:16:13

There isn't much out on this yet. Suspect is in hospital, and they haven't even said how old the baby is yet. But its so, so sad. Why take a childs life, they're so innocent sad

shooting in essex

GypsyMoth Mon 06-Jun-11 11:19:35

why take ANYONES life more like!!

Islandlady Mon 06-Jun-11 19:05:26

Its just been on the news the little girl was TWO

From what I gather a man was also found at the scene badly injured and is under guard in hospital, the police say the family has been known to them for a couple of years and the police are reporting THEMSELVES to the police complaints commisioners

From the reaction of a man near the scene it looks like a possibility that the injured man (the childs father) has threatened violence but the police did nothing - no one else is being sought in connection with the shootings according to the police statement

Imnotaslimjim Mon 06-Jun-11 19:51:21

Very true Tiffany, it just seems worse when its a child's life taken

Thats awful IL, can't believe they knew they were a violent family and this still happened. RIP little one and mum

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:58

IPCC would have been informed as the police may have shot the kid's dad who killed the little kid and mum .... standard procedure.

Islandlady Mon 06-Jun-11 20:27:55

cookcleaner thats not what it said on the news, the mums other daughter escaped and went to a relatives, the police were called and then they went in found all three, two dead and the man injured.

In an interview with a senior officer he said the police had referred themselves to the police complaints.

I hope its not one of those cases where the police were told someone was in danger but did nothing but it is looking like it.

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 21:12:15

It's been referred to Police complaints. It's a street in the town where I went to school.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 06-Jun-11 21:16:38

Let's hope Teresa May starts listening to the police and public and gets tough on violent behaviour with prison sentences rather than a small fine and slap on the wrists.

I feel so sorry for the surviving child, to have experienced this at the age of 10. Have to say I hope the man who did this dies.

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 21:33:55

What's bothering me about this case is the road that they lived in was always known for housing problem families and it really was a place you avoided wherever possible. The police were always patrolling that area, there was always lots of visits and lots of problems, it has to have been the most heavily policed street in the town. I wonder if her problems with this murderer would have been taken more seriously if it had been in a "better" part of town.

I'm just thinking aloud really, I feel desperately for the surviving child and hope she has someone to love her and keep her safe.

I hope that the man who did this dies too, slowly, painfully and by someone elses hand.

BitOfFun Mon 06-Jun-11 21:43:06

The poor ten year old escaped out of a window sad

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 21:47:38

After having a gun put into her mouth according to The Daily Mail. They seem to have the most details. The murderer and the dead woman were due in court today.

ledkr Mon 06-Jun-11 22:19:10

This seems to happen such alot these days,people need to start listening to women who repeatedly report inccidents to the police.I was in a bad situation yrs ago,police were as good as they could be but completely underestimated this mans capabilities.There were severe consequenses which wouldnt have occurred had he been locked up at the start and not just been dealt with in accordance with procedure. Poor family,they must have been terrified.

Pedallleur Mon 06-Jun-11 22:22:06

We had one on our street recently where the mother killed her daughter then tried to take her own life. I'll not go into the details but it involved a pathetic scam set up by the ex-partner of mum and thro' which she lost her job. Scam made him (them)£8k but at the cost of the little girls life. He got fined £2k recently for the scam but of course he wasn't involved in the death of the girl

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 22:32:09

It's going to lead to some serious questions about the protection of women who've been threatened by a partner/ex partner. There's a clear case for locking them up at the first threat, I'm sure threatening to kill is an offence and if it isn't it should be.

AyeRobot Mon 06-Jun-11 22:39:39

Fucking animal. I don't really have any words, but my thoughts are particularly with the 10 year old.

Agree entirely with the views that there should be early and custodial enforcement of existing laws in dv situations. At least to give the women time and space to sort their lives out without the abuser watching their every move and waiting for their moment to punish her for reporting. And we need to look at why a violent man's property rights are given greater weight than women's safety.

If you read through this thread you will see that many of them had police contact before they were killed by their current or former partner.

RIP all of them.

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 22:48:05

"we need to look at why a violent man's property rights are given greater weight than women's safety". So true, also the definition that a child is "property" has to change.

Bizkit Mon 06-Jun-11 22:49:15

This seems to be happening so frequently lately, the stories are always similar, parents have split, fighting for custody etc. These men are such cowards, I can never get my head round how they can do that to their own child sad

A woman I used to work with had the same fate a few years back. She and her husband were going through a divorce, she started getting close to someone else and he shot her and their two children, and then of course himself. My other collegue found the bodies and its somethink that will haunt her for the rest of her life

AyeRobot Mon 06-Jun-11 22:53:15

Yes to that.

It's on days like this that I wish we had an unpopulated colony so that we could reinstate deportation. Actually, are some of the Falkland Islands uninhabited?

I meant "women and children's safety", of course.

ScarlettIsWalking Mon 06-Jun-11 22:56:21

So tragic. RIP

Just speechless at how this could be allowed to happen.

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 23:02:16

Yes, deportation to the Falklands then we could let the Argentinians get to work on them, I don't think that compassion towards murderers is their forte.

AyeRobot Mon 06-Jun-11 23:04:53

(I am not a man-hater. I am an abuser hater. Just to clarify for the haterzzzzz)

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Mon 06-Jun-11 23:36:26

How do these men become like this? They have mothers. I just don't understand a woman who could bring up a child to think that this was acceptable behaviour.

And no, I'm not blaming wimmin for men's faults. Thats not it at all. I just don't understand how these men can have the mindset that this is entirely justifiable.

I spend (what feels like a substantial amount of my time) telling my ds that hurting anyone/anything is wrong. That even the annoying little shit who is bullying him has people that love him and that violence is not justified.

So so sad and angry for the poor little girl that escaped. I can't see how she will ever feel safe again. sad

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 23:44:00

I think "nothing left to lose" might be the driving emotion when they commit the unthinkable.

I'm waiting for the back story to unfold and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Mon 06-Jun-11 23:49:55

I know what you mean AlOuiseG, but there is always something to lose, isn't there. Self respect for a start.

Al0uiseG Mon 06-Jun-11 23:55:36

I've just read the Telegraphs article on it. His Dad was quoted as saying he was worried about Him because he had a tendency to be violent and a friend said that the victim had suffered "beatings" from the murderer! The police knew and didn't intervene or certainly didn't intervene enough, I don't understand why he wasn't charged?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now