Talk

Advanced search

BBC finds it acceptable to use reference to word 'cunt' on R4 program.

(17 Posts)
johnworf Sun 05-Jun-11 10:04:55

Just read this article (yes, I know it's the Daily Wail) and am surprised they've passed this in light of the Sachsgate affair. No, I'm not a raving DM reader who supports everything they write but I really do find it surprising that the 'C' word (or obvious reference to it) would make it to being broadcast.

In the article it makes reference to "An executive who cleared it for daytime transmission on flagship Radio 4 even said it would 'delight' many of its audience, who would 'love it?."

Again, if this is true, what on earth has this been based on? Is good old R4 going down the pan too? sad

BooBooGlass Sun 05-Jun-11 10:07:01

What was said was that the Tories put the N in Cuts. They didn't go round saying cunt cunt cunting cunts. I fail to see the problem.

newportstateofmind Sun 05-Jun-11 10:08:04

I remember hearing that joke at the time and I thought it was genius!

Even though I would never use the word myself.

BelovedCunt Sun 05-Jun-11 10:08:40

i think its funny! they didn't say the word

Snorbs Sun 05-Jun-11 10:59:31

"And the news just in - a radio presenter doesn't say a rude word. A nation reels in shock."

Meh.

meditrina Sun 05-Jun-11 11:14:34

I mentioned in Chat a couple of days ago that HH had used "cnuts".

poppyknot Sun 05-Jun-11 18:39:32

Why use the word in the title of the thread?

Sandie Toksvig was much cleverer in her use of the word. As ever it's what is not said that is funny.........

Actually read the comments on the story and this time most people got the ridiculousness of it. DM had it as their leading story for a while. (Forget about Yemen, or even e-coli). It's an obession to get the BBC into a 'negative' headline... Poor souls. They must be so confused.

crispyambulance Sun 05-Jun-11 18:41:34

well it is true isn't it

mercibucket Sun 05-Jun-11 18:41:53

outrageous slur on cunts

JBellingham Sun 05-Jun-11 18:46:44

They did not use the word. They alluded to it.
People who moan about it are just cunts.

ragged Sun 05-Jun-11 18:56:33

So what are Cnuts, then? Something I need to fine-tune on my car? Or a trendy & tasty hors d'oeuvre dish? Sounds like something I need to brush up on, anyway, as a fine upstanding Grauniad reader. wink

DilysPrice Sun 05-Jun-11 18:58:15

a) the watershed doesn't apply on Radio 4 because it is For Grown Ups - long established principle, much like Mumsnet
b) you'd have to work out what she was saying in order to be offended, so it's hardly likely to corrupt children
c) cunting Daily Mail

RobF Sun 05-Jun-11 20:42:51

Tory-bashing comedy, what a surprise from the BBC!

I'd be complaining just because it's a waste of licence fee payers money, I don't care about the c word. Sandi Toksvig hasn't been funny since Number 73.

Snorbs Sun 05-Jun-11 23:33:53

Yeah, Tory-bashing from the BBC. Because the News Quiz was always so complimentary about Labour when they were in power hmm

VivaLeBeaver Sun 05-Jun-11 23:35:22

I saw the headline and thought it was shocking. Then read the article and realised it was nothing like. Quite funny actually, made me giggle.

Gay40 Sun 05-Jun-11 23:37:06

I thought it was brilliant.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 06-Jun-11 08:50:53

Everyone (DM included) has a short memory. Didn't dear old Jim Naughtie accidentally use that word when talking about the Minister for Culture? Toksvig's joke is what's known as 'double entendre' and is perfectly acceptable. As the BBC-hating DM knows full well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now