Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

aids...on the increase

(7 Posts)
magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 10:30:51

Although I have not had sex since august 2009 when My ex and I broke up
when I heard the news that more people are being diagnosed with having the aids virus, it did make me feel worried.
I only became sexually active around 1995 when I was in my mid 30s.
I had 2 one night stands and If my memory serves me well I didn't wear a condom...at the time my only concern was if I got them pregnant...But Luckily
I didn't.
but looking back I realize that we were both stupid to jump into bed without knowing about each other.
I would like to think that I would be more careful now...In fact I have made a decision to lay off sex until I find someone who I really fall for and want to marry.
That way I protect myself from Any STD.
Yet I am aware that many people still sleep around with multiple partners without taking precaution.
they may get immense pleasure from that but Is it really worth risking catching Aids?
what do you Think?

hogsback Thu 02-Jun-11 10:40:17

Do you have a link? I was under the impression that new HIV diagnoses have decreased year-on-year since the early 2000s and that AIDS diagnoses are at an all time low.

Frankly, unless you are in one of the high risk groups there are a lot more important things to worry about.

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 10:50:54

Hi thanks for your answer hogsback.
no I don't have a link sorry but I heard about the aids things on London tonight on Tuesday evening and it just made me feel uneasy even though I not currently sexually active.
If at some point I become sexually active again I think I will be more wary of catching a STD than I was before after all when it becomes headline news that more people are being diagnosed with the Aids virus I think it is only natural to feel uneasy.

hogsback Thu 02-Jun-11 11:16:25

magpienchips - it's perfectly reasonable to be wary of STDs and to practice safe sex. Much more worrying than the HIV risk though (which is confined to very small groups of people) is the huge rise in other STDs such as Syphilis, Chlamydia and Herpes.

The fact is that a large number of people do not practice safe sex, and this has led to a substantial rise in all STDs except for HIV/AIDs. This is because HIV is simply not widespread in the native heterosexual population - it's largely confined to men who have sex with men and immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa.

Cattleprod Thu 02-Jun-11 11:22:10

Maybe people have become complacent because aids is no longer the death sentence it once was, with the development of antiretroviral(?) drugs, and also the focus of the government health awareness programmes has moved to chlamidia etc.

But yes you'll always get stupid people who think they are invincible sleeping around with no protection.

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 11:56:04

cattleprod
believe me when I was sexually active the only worry on my mind was what if i get her pregnant?
The thought of catching a STD very rarely entered my mind.
but now I hope I would be more wary.

ThePosieParker Tue 20-Sep-11 12:44:07

Did you dump your ex before or after she died? magpie. Seems strange to be with someone for 28years to then finish the relationship the year they die.

TRes strange, n'est pas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now