Talk

Advanced search

woman admits stealing from tesco bin

(109 Posts)
magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 10:08:49

Hi Mum's
I just want to know your opinion on the news that a woman who admitted taking food out of a tesco bin Is being prosecuted for theft?
I felt sorry for the woman when that news came to my attention because I would like to believe that she assumed that since the food was in a bin then it was no longer sell able and so it would not be considered a crime for taking it?
but tesco policy obviously does not allow that.
I think also that the fact that she admitted taking the food should have made tesco let her go.
also I can remember watching a Pro-gramme called whistle blowers I think?
anyway this man Applied for a job at various tesco stores and he secretly filmed tesco staff selling meat that was past the sell by date and I think that was done with the approval of management.
so my point is how can it be right for tesco to deceive and rip off customers
but it is wrong for customers to take food out of a bin?
I can understand that food is sold for profit but the fact is that food was bagged up and put into a bin to be thrown into a landfill site.
but if that woman had approached tesco management and ask them if she could take some of the food out of the bin?
I doubt very much if they would have said yes she can.
so this woman made the decision to take without asking permission which was foolish of course but yet it is understandable why she did it.
and for this woman to now be facing getting a criminal record and possibly a fine while tesco are still allowed to carry on trading after they were filmed Deceiving their customers.
I don't think that Is just or fair.
what do you Think?

BeerTricksPotter Thu 02-Jun-11 13:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Jun-11 13:29:04

It is theft. Which bit of that is difficult to comprehend? She took something that did not belong to her.

twooter Thu 02-Jun-11 13:29:10

I'm with you, op. Not heard of the case, but as far as I'm concerned if something is in a bin or skip, then if anyone else wants to salvage it, well, fair enough

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:32:48

yeah but it would have been put in a landfill site which is no benefit to anyone...I think they should let it go and forgive her.

RitaMorgan Thu 02-Jun-11 13:33:31

It's ridiculous that it is theft though. Perfectly good food is chucked out and then someone is prosecuted for taking it? What an outrageous waste of taxpayers' money!

BeerTricksPotter Thu 02-Jun-11 13:34:56

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:35:40

there is a big difference between food inside a shop compared taking food outside a shop in a rubbish bin.
on that basis I think the woman should be forgiven because how was she to know it was illegal to take food out of the bin?

scurryfunge Thu 02-Jun-11 13:37:00

Ignorance of the law is no defence. A child knows it is wrong to take something that does not belong to them.

melpomene Thu 02-Jun-11 13:38:20

Do you have a link? Did she do it regularly, or just once?

Technically it's theft but (without knowing full details) it sounds like it's probably a waste of public resources to prosecute it.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 02-Jun-11 13:38:27

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:38:41

well if I were in charge I would forgive her...she admitted she had taken the food...

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:40:04

yes
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/

melpomene Thu 02-Jun-11 13:40:27

Tesco probably pay by weight to have their landfill waste taken away, so if you look at it that way she was saving them money! Though obviously they wouldn't want everyone doing it and making a mess.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Jun-11 13:40:48

It was a substantial amount and she bagged it up and threw it up through her living room window above the shop. We are not talking about a wilted sandwich for the hungry -there was too much to use herself and I wouldn't be surprised if she would have sold it on. Most minor thefts are dealt with informally but she was clearly taking the piss here.

paisleyII Thu 02-Jun-11 13:41:21

fgs, anyone who takes food out of a bin is desperate, leave the poor bastards alone, i really can't STAND tesco although not for this reason, oddly enough i worked there before starting college years ago, the things that used to go on.....would make your hair curl

RitaMorgan Thu 02-Jun-11 13:41:42

Do you honestly not see a difference in taking something from a shelf in a shop, and taking it from a bin?

How is it in the public interest to spend money prosecuting people for taking food from bins? I'd rather we just gave that woman the cash so she could buy fresh food.

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:43:01

ok
few weeks ago I found a mountain bike abandoned on the footpath.
the back wheel is slightly buckled but other than that it is in good condition
so i picked it up and kept it...I don't know if the bike was stolen of course but it was just lying there so i took it...Is that technically theft or finders keepers?

MadamDeathstare Thu 02-Jun-11 13:44:06

BooyHoo Thu 02-Jun-11 13:44:38

sorry OP but if i put my old camera in my black bin, it is still my property until the bin lorry comes and empties the bin. no-one has a right to enter my property and take that camera out of my bin. what if i decide i want to go and retrieve it and dismantle it for parts? someone would have stolen my property.

just because it was food doesn't make it public property.

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:44:41

I tend to side with you paisley

MadamDeathstare Thu 02-Jun-11 13:45:44

magpienchips Thu 02-Jun-11 13:47:00

fair comment boohoo but I still think that tesco should have let her go with a warning...but to take it further is a bit much I think.

MadamDeathstare Thu 02-Jun-11 13:47:36

BooyHoo Thu 02-Jun-11 13:48:13

magpie, they are probably making an example of her to deter otehrs from doing teh same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now