Talk

Advanced search

Sharp rise in Measles cases...

(27 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 08:07:12

If you and yours have not had measles and/or are not immunised then now would seem to be a good time to act. Sharp rise in measles cases

DrSeuss Fri 27-May-11 11:38:22

Oh, Cogito, I'm with you all the way but be prepared to be flamed!

JLo2 Fri 27-May-11 12:02:52

I'm with you too Cognito, in fact looking into getting my 2 year old to have his second dose early as we're off to France this summer and they've had a big outbreak there.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 12:38:49

Flamed, why? I had measles as a kid, was very ill and left deaf for a long time. As a result I wouldn't wish measles on my worst enemy. If it's on the rise and if a simple jab can prevent it, seems to make sense to be safe than sorry.

DrSeuss Fri 27-May-11 13:30:10

I totally agree with you in every respect. However, any thread about jabs will always get incredibly heated, sometimes abusive. Just to warn you...

southeastastra Fri 27-May-11 13:31:36

why warn her hmm we got a letter about this from the school - it's really serious

Callisto Fri 27-May-11 13:40:44

Couldn't agree more, and the drs have been warning that this would happen for some time.

I think you may be right about the flaming too: when I reported on an MMR thread that my HV had told me that we have a social responsibility to have our children vaccinated (or words to that effect), some of the responses were really quite nasty. However, In The News doesn't have quite so much traffic - fgs don't post this in AIBU or Chat... wink

deemented Fri 27-May-11 13:41:38

I heard this on the news earlier.

DD had measles the year before last when she was too youg to have had the MMR. Thankfully she was alright.

There's many more that aren't that lucky.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 13:56:29

I was thinking less about social responsibility to be honest and more about preventing our precious kids from getting sick or dying. Might post in AIBU just for the hell of it... smile

DrSeuss Fri 27-May-11 14:07:52

Go Cogito! At least when the solid matter strikes the ventilation unit, my DC and yours should be OK.

JBellingham Fri 27-May-11 14:12:08

Don't get your sprogs immunised and let natural selection sort it out. This way we can raise the IQ of the UK considerably over a couple of generations.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 14:13:50

I think someone beat me to it, but I've girded up my girds and struck a blow for commonsense. I was only 4 when I had it and my normally unflappable mother still gets quite emotional a 'we could have lost you' kind of way if measles ever gets mentioned on the news...

BiscuitNibbler Fri 27-May-11 15:24:42

My DD is 2 and has had the first set but not the second. Should I be asking the GP for her to get the second dose? If so, are surgeries open to you asking this?

DrSeuss Fri 27-May-11 15:36:19

Cogito, I had whooping cough as an eight year old despite having been vaccinated. It was hellish even in its milder form. It used to regularly kill children. I would never expose my children to that risk and nor would you. But many would rather do that than get them jabbed. I don't claim to understand them but they exist and always get their teeth into any thread like this.

Triggles Fri 27-May-11 16:03:48

I think the second dose is for just before they start school, so age 3.5-4 roughly?

I need to take DS3 in and get his MMR done. I'll admit we've put it off, but can't really ignore that.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-May-11 17:33:15

Am I right in remembering there was a big scare about the whooping cough vaccine at one stage? There were a few kids in my school got it and I remember how the rest of us thought they would 'die for sure' - as only kids can predict. Growing up in the seventies, there were still plenty of polio victims around and about as well.... so the sugar-cube was treated as a major miracle. Measles, mumps, rubella... very common and pretty miserable. Maybe part of the picture today is that if someone's under a certain age and not had direct experience of these diseases they're just not that scary?

I think on the the second dose question, the first dose is adequate for a big percentage of people. But the second dose a few years later catches anyone that fell through the protective net.

jaggythistle Fri 27-May-11 17:59:22

I didn't get the whooping cough vaccine in the late 70s because of the scare. I went on to get whooping cough and was pretty ill.

My Mum still feels bad i think about me not getting the vaccine!

K999 Fri 27-May-11 18:01:06

Jaggythistle. This happened to me too! And my mum is also still guilt ridden!!

Northernlurker Fri 27-May-11 18:01:30

Biscuitnibbler - i think if there is an increase in cases local to you, you would probably be able to get it earlier.

Panzee Fri 27-May-11 18:03:03

I've phoned the doctor about getting the 'booster' done a year early because we're going to Spain soon. They didn't know much about it but got me an appointment with the nurse anyway. Hopefully we'll not have too much trouble!

headfairy Fri 27-May-11 18:05:50

I didn't get vaccinated for anything in the 70s, and consequently got all three illnesses. Measles was by far the worst. I ended up in hospital.

Thank God I had a window in the back to back colds last week to get dd's first MMR done, ds had his second one done too. All rather good timing.

SardineQueen Fri 27-May-11 18:39:36

Thanks for posting this. I agree with you as well.

aliceliddell Fri 27-May-11 21:35:11

Agree that people don't get the jabs because they' never seen the illness. My df and dfil are both deaf because of childhood (1930s) measles/rubella/scarlet fever. The boy in the bed next to my df died. People in other countries queue fo days to get these jabs.

silverfrog Fri 27-May-11 21:40:39

<snort> @ people don't get the jabs because they haven't seen the illnesses.

maybe some people don't get the jab because the risks to their children form the vaccine actually outweigh the risks of the illness?

<am well aware of the illnesses, thanks. have lived through, and seen several cases of, all 3>

the whooping cough jab, btw, is largely ineffective, as it vaccinates against a strain that is not the most widespread these days.

BiscuitNibbler Fri 27-May-11 23:56:59

Thanks Northernlurker. Will give the surgery a call next week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: