Talk

Advanced search

Hot air balloon

(13 Posts)
januarynews Sun 02-Jan-11 00:00:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-1210 2865

This happened at the top of my road. Does anyone else live nearby?! Apparently they were still trying to get the flame going just before they hit the floor sad

But, anyone else local, knows how much worse it could have been if it had been a school day or a few hundred yards in another directions

cookielove Sun 02-Jan-11 00:05:47

oh i am not local but i do think it is so sad, the poor people they have been terrified. I have actually been hot air ballooning, but was unaware of the risks, i hope for the two men that lost there lives that they suffered no pain. However i do doubt that this would be true. Very very sad.

MotherJack Sun 02-Jan-11 00:06:57

here

cookielove Sun 02-Jan-11 00:07:14

After reading the article it suggested that the basket was detached and on fire as it hit the ground. I could not get your link to work, is this what you were refering to?

januarynews Sun 02-Jan-11 00:11:03

Yes that's the link (sorry). There was a video on the local news which showed them attempting to get the flame going again before they disappeared behind some trees. When things like that happen so close by it really makes you think doesn't it

Blu Sun 02-Jan-11 00:12:05

How terrifying.

You must feel very shaken, Januarynews sad

januarynews Sun 02-Jan-11 00:15:04

I just keep thinking about the fact that the bowling green they landed on was the best place they could have landed. They landed smack bang in the middle of two schools (ok the schools are on holiday but it still makes you think) and there is a park about 50 yards from there. Horrible, horrible

Maybe they still had some control over the balloon until they almost landed? If that's the case then they died heroes!

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 02-Jan-11 00:17:22

have just texted my balloon pilot friend in bath. hoping for a reply.

januarynews Sun 02-Jan-11 00:20:33

NGBD it was a well known local balloonist apparently. I don't know who it was as the names haven't been released.

I hope your friend is ok xx

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 02-Jan-11 00:29:21

no reply yet, trying not to worry.

no names published anywhere yet.

will try to get in touch tomorrow.

cornsilkcornedbeefhash Sun 02-Jan-11 00:31:22

that's so sad - those poor men sad

TigerseyeMum Sun 02-Jan-11 17:27:01

This happened close to my parents' house but they are away atm. That is a very common route for ballonists, my old dog used to chase them across the park.

Terribly sad, and very fightening.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 04-Jan-11 13:37:52

They've confirmed the names on thisisbristol.
So sad, the family would have watched the balloon come down as they were in the ground crew following. sad

My friend is fine btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now