Talk

Advanced search

Another person disapeared after a christmas party - been missing 12 days but hardly anything on news

(33 Posts)
veritythebrave Tue 28-Dec-10 17:35:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornsilkcornedbeefhash Tue 28-Dec-10 17:37:49

sad

thenightsky Tue 28-Dec-10 17:39:24

Am suprised I haven't seen that on the news at all. The Bristol girl who went missing was on National news within hours wasn't she?

How odd.

Poor parents though... can you imagine..sad

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Tue 28-Dec-10 17:40:33

gosh, so sad. i hope he is found safe and well, although it is strange he hasn't used his phone or bank account.

i wonder why tehre hasn't been as much news coverage of this as there was of joanna yeats' disappearance.

veritythebrave Tue 28-Dec-10 17:44:53

OrangeCountyStrip Tue 28-Dec-10 17:47:38

He looks so nice doesn't he.

I hope they find him.

whimsy Tue 28-Dec-10 17:49:37

Hope he's found soon, but yes rather strange it's not been on the news at all still someones son Hope he's found soon!

veritythebrave Tue 28-Dec-10 17:51:02

scarletbegonia Tue 28-Dec-10 17:52:37

It is sad but also sadly not so unusual for young men to disappear on boozy nights out and it rarely has a happy outcome.

If there is a water near by then that is the most likely explanation.

A very sad situation.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Tue 28-Dec-10 17:53:06

i thought it was maybe because he is male and not at as much risk of abduction?

still, he should have had as much coverage, maybe family didn't want the coverage.

CointreauVersial Tue 28-Dec-10 17:54:10

If he were female it would have been wider publicised I'm sure.

sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 17:55:16

Message withdrawn

RhinestoneReindeerHerder Tue 28-Dec-10 17:57:28

My brother disappeared a few years ago (thankfully he came back after 10 days) and the police were as helpful as they could be, but we could tell that they felt that it was quite common for young men to go off (usually booze involved).

So for his family.

bran Tue 28-Dec-10 18:00:11

I had always assumed that the amount of media coverage of a disappearance was influenced by the police rather than the public's interest in the disappeared person. So if the police feel that a lot of media coverage could be beneficial in a particular case then they will push it for the media by giving them lots of detail.

Perhaps for Jo Yeates, because it was an unusual disappearance, they felt public awareness might save her or at least be helpful in finding her killer. A young man disappearing while drunk is possibly more likely to have come to harm through misadventure than through malice or some fore-planned action.

whimsy Tue 28-Dec-10 18:00:49

That's so sad verity, it shouldn't matter what class or background your from, everyone should get equal publicity. As a mum of 3 working class boys, this makes me so sad I hope he's found soon.

LadyBlaBlah Tue 28-Dec-10 18:01:02

Yes, male and from a working class background. It's sad how the media make the judgements for us. I am sad for both the families in equal measures.

Imisssleeping Tue 28-Dec-10 18:01:35

rhinestone what made your brother disappear ?
So glad he came back

Pixel Tue 28-Dec-10 18:06:31

My cousin was murdered not long ago and it wasn't mentioned in any of the national newspapers. It does seem that young men don't seem as 'newsworthy' as pretty young women for some reason.

3littlefrogs Tue 28-Dec-10 18:11:27

I started a post saying the same thing about the importance (or lack of) of young men Pixel.It just dissappeared into thin air!

Ds1 was the victim of a particularly vicious assault and armed robbery. He could have died. The police and the CPS didn't appear to take it all that seriously. Had it been a young woman or a pensioner, it would have been all over the news.

scarletbegonia Tue 28-Dec-10 18:11:28

pixel - that's awful but it is sadly true that there is more interest in the statistically unusual i.e. missing white middle class young women.

Its not right but it is the way of the world and I don't think it will change.

scarletbegonia Tue 28-Dec-10 18:12:58

x posts 3littlefrogs, it is completely wrong for the police to treat crimes differently. I hope your DS is better and you fight on his behalf for justice.

Summerbird73 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:13:22

i was out near that hotel in Manchester that night - the snow cane down really heavy really quickly that night and i took risks (walked home from the tram at midnight etc) you just dont think...

so sad for his family

3littlefrogs Tue 28-Dec-10 18:16:15

Pixel - I am so sorry about your cousin.

3littlefrogs Tue 28-Dec-10 18:17:29

We are keeping our heads down - the police didn't arrest the perpetrator.

RhinestoneReindeerHerder Tue 28-Dec-10 18:18:07

Imisssleeping - he was as it turns out very depressed (he lives at home with my parents and they had no idea he was so low). He was on his way to work one morning and just couldn't face it and got on a different train. He slept rough for a week, was so thin when he returned. It was a really horrible time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: