Talk

Advanced search

Probably the wrong place for this but... swine flu vaccine in pregnancy

(3 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 20-Dec-10 13:10:08

Hi, I have to admit to have not really given swine flu a thought until the past few weeks where everytime I turn the news on, there is a report about swine flu. Particularly regarding swine flu and pregnancy.
The papers / news readers seem to be reporting that swine flu in pregnancy is very dangerous, though I imagine any type of flu is when pregnant. The report on BBC news the other morning had somebody urging "vulnerable" or pregnant women to book in for the swine flu vaccine.
I have had a few midwife appointments, I'm 19 weeks pregnant, and not once has the swine flu vaccine been talked about.
Is it something that pregnant women should be getting?

GiddyPickle Mon 20-Dec-10 14:48:28

The press scares imply the worst but the truth is more that normal flu doesn't pose as much of a risk to pregnant woman as much as Swine Flu seems to. That doesn't mean Swine Flu is very dangerous as such, jsut that if you get it and are pregnant you are more likely to suffer complications but the numbers are still very small.

Normal flu also tends not to lead to complications in young adults or in the under 65s but, of those with complcations, all have been under 65 this year and half have been previously healthy adults. So again whilst the actual number of seriously ill / fatalities is tiny, it is the unusual feature of this flu to effect the young that is causing concerns.

Basically normal flu isn't great but some features of Swine Flu are more worrying to particular groups so that's why vaccines are recommended. Its personal choice though whether you agree with vaccination and whether you come into contact with people a lot and feel at risk of catching it.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 20-Dec-10 20:30:52

thank you for the reply. I am going to have a good read of the threads on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now