Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone read Katie Pearson's columns in the Times? (Wee Beastie)

(10 Posts)
ShiningWit Wed 15-Dec-10 18:44:45

... and if so have you read her daughter Maddie's column about her mum's death? sad

I didn't particularly follow Katie's column but Maddie's is so moving, I sat here crying while reading and just wanted to know if anyone else had seen it? An incredibly brave girl.

Laneigejaune Wed 15-Dec-10 18:59:26

Yes, been following it since the beginning. Has been on my mind a lot since the one 2 weeks ago when she said the doctors had told her that there was nothing they could do. The daughter's column left me in tears too.

My mum's best friend died of the same thing (secondary breast cancer in her liver) in June so hasn't been easy to read. Mad die's column was inspirational.

thelastresort Wed 15-Dec-10 19:24:18

Yes, I read the daughter's piece and cried. How sad.

Laneigejaune Wed 15-Dec-10 19:54:50

Meant Maddie obviously (iPad autocorrect v irritating)

Onlyaphase Wed 15-Dec-10 20:04:15

Yes - I was in tears yesterday reading the paper, even before I got to the piece written by the daughter.

I knew the end was coming in the one of the last columns when her DH took her back to hospital to be looked after properly, and the consultant said they could only try and make her comfortable. So sad.

ShiningWit Wed 15-Dec-10 20:47:01

I thought it was extraordinary that a 14 yo could write so beautifully about such a thing. I've suffered huge loss myself, but to lose your mother at the age of those 2 girls is heart breaking. I wanted the whole of MN to read it - but with the Times being paid on line it's not possible to share it.

annecla Sat 18-Dec-10 16:56:46

It's too late now to thank Katie Pearson for her column. Modest and understated as it was regarding her own bravery, it nonetheless was a tremendous inspiration to those of us who have a tendency to feel sorry for them selves. I hope her family see this; blees you all.

catinthehat2 Sat 18-Dec-10 16:59:44

Unfortunately, the Times paywall has kyboshed this for most of us.
I am one of those who is very unlikely to pay on the offchance of reading something that good every now & again.

LeMarron Sat 18-Dec-10 17:44:43

Yes, I read it for the first time by chance, and came across it and cried and cried. it was so moving, and I thought Maddie was amazing... she wrote with such maturity... especially when she wrote so protectively about her little sister. It was lovely.

spooktrain Mon 20-Dec-10 10:50:36

oh no, so sad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: