Talk

Advanced search

I can't believe that this happens in this day and age. Woman whipped for wearing trousers

(46 Posts)
PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 14:24:39

Warning, quite distressing

And the bastards are laughing angry

shortnotsweet Tue 14-Dec-10 14:26:49

I just read it and it made me cry .
I can't watch the video.

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Tue 14-Dec-10 14:27:07

My God that has made me feel sick to the stomach!

booyhohoho Tue 14-Dec-10 14:32:28

oh god that is heartbreaking. i have no sound so i didn't hear it but to see it was enough. just sick. those men are sick. tehre is nothing moral about them. they are power freaks.

scurryfunge Tue 14-Dec-10 14:36:48

isgusting behaviour. Medieval.

scurryfunge Tue 14-Dec-10 14:37:17

*Disgusting,not sure where the D went.

ThisIsANiceCage Tue 14-Dec-10 14:50:09

I've been stopped on the streets in southern Africa and told I'm going to hell for wearing trousers. I offered to take them off there and then, but the guy didn't get the joke...

Colonialism is bizarre. These are countries where only 100 years ago women wore nothing but tiny skirts and necklaces, with a cloak for winter. Yet invade with a toxically blended mix of religion and culture (1900s British Christianity, in this case) and suddenly men have the god-given right to punish women - not even for revealing skin but for covering up in the wrong manner.

And oddly, that's an imposition many didn't chose to reject at Independence. hmm

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 15:52:27

Who makes up these rules? It's such bullshit.

scurryfunge Tue 14-Dec-10 15:53:52

Men,Paxo -religion is distorted to suit the men.

BeenBeta Tue 14-Dec-10 16:12:03

It would be nice to have a strong, clear and unequivocal statement from the Muslim world and especially from moderate scholars and Imams that what is in this film has no place in Islamic law.

It seems to me that the rights of women in the Muslim world can be best protected by other Muslims saying no more.

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 16:14:24

I wonder if they do BeenBeta but it just isn't reported? Not as 'newsworthy' maybe (not saying that is the case, because I don't know. Just find it hard to believe that most Muslims would find this fair/acceptable)

BeenBeta Tue 14-Dec-10 16:18:00

Yes you may well be right. I'll rephrase.

"It would be nice to hear a strong, clear and unequivocal statement from the Muslim world ..."

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 16:21:40

Indeed. I wonder if/how these stories are reported in other predominantly Muslim countries.

booyhohoho Tue 14-Dec-10 18:07:15

what does it mean in this report when it says tehre is an investigation into teh way teh filming was carried out?

kat2504 Tue 14-Dec-10 18:44:49

Despicable. Doesn't matter about how the filming was carried out or what the bystanders are doing. The fact that this could even happen is despicable in and by itself. Islam might suggest modesty, but surely covering up is enough. Why are people looking at what a woman has put on underneath her robes? I unfortunately turned on the tv at the wrong moment and saw the video and am horrified by it.
We have gone to war with other countries to defend peoples democratic rights but what are we doing for the hundreds of thousands of women being oppressed by these barbaric regimes?
I am in no way suggesting that Islam is at fault as I am sure the vast majority of muslims are more moderate and would also be appalled by this. The people running these regimes have just twisted religion for their own sick purposes. And women have no rights or no way to stand up for themselves in these countries.

mistyop Tue 14-Dec-10 18:58:27

What is this moderate Islam everyone spouts?

These barbaric actions are from Islamic sharia or not.

Categorically they are NOT.

It's just good old fashioned sexism but in this instance muslim are the perpetrators.

I have noticed a lot of people (under the meeja influence) put these classifications forward. Moderate or fundamentalist
confused

Majority of Muslims I know just view themselves as 'muslims'.

pinguwings Tue 14-Dec-10 19:07:27

That's utterly horrific. That scene looks like one from thousands of years ago. How can some people have such distorted morals? sad

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 19:11:33

Message withdrawn

Xales Tue 14-Dec-10 19:13:59

Fucking disgusting.

Who (what man) was looking under this woman's external garments to check for trousers and how the hell was it indecent if she was covered from head to foot in robes as it looked on the video.

This is totally about male opression of women. They are merely using THEIR interpretation of something to justify their barbaric behaviour.

begonyabampot Tue 14-Dec-10 19:30:47

where did this happen? Reading the comments is enough - i really don't want to watch it - sounds horrific!

kat2504 Tue 14-Dec-10 20:56:05

I agree that it is just misogyny and abuse of women, my point was that the perpetrators are using religion as an excuse for their behaviour. This happens in many societies. Including Christian ones. In which some have used their interpretation of christianity as an excuse for terrorism, much closer to home.
From what I understand from the news, they are deliberately going round checking for trousers. As if forcing women to robe themselves from top to toe regardless of personal choice was not already oppressive enough...

MarketingMania Tue 14-Dec-10 21:05:32

Disgusting I cant bring my self to watch

What can we do ? to help? - does anyone know

Disgravceful

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 21:12:54

Riven - Do Muslim people speak out vocally about these issues? Is it a case of the media not allowing Muslims to have a platform in your experience? (Not trying to be confrontational in any way, just interested)

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 21:13:19

begonya - Sudan

pointythings Tue 14-Dec-10 21:41:27

I know a lot of Muslims - most of them men - and not one of them would condone this. So yes, moderate Islam does exist, it just doesn't make the news.
I do think a lot of regimes in the Middle East don't have a free press, so this kind of thing doesn't get out enough - not to do with Islam, more to do with traditional structures of government who feel that democracy is dangerous to them. No different from Putin's Russia, really.
Can't make myself watch the video.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: