Talk

Advanced search

Jody McIntyre interview

(39 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 09:15:28

Message withdrawn

auntyfash Tue 14-Dec-10 09:36:56

I was just coming on here to post about this.
Sadly, this does not surprise me in the least, as I have witnessed similar incidents at demos before. One that stands out in my mind was when riot police knocked over an elderly war veteran. And did any of you see the programme Coppers the other week about the way the police handled the EDL/UAF demos?

I think Jody was absolutely brilliant in that interview!

roomforthree Tue 14-Dec-10 09:45:22

I've just seen this on youtube.

Utterly disgusting.

Couldn't believe this little beauty - Did you throw anything at the police? Err, Jody already said that he wasn't able to move his chair, I think that rules out the use of missiles.

Shame on the met and shame on the BBC.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 09:52:38

Message withdrawn

edam Tue 14-Dec-10 10:01:59

I think Jody dealt with hostile questioning very well. Presenter seemed to be struggling to think of good questions - he isn't Paxman interviewing the home secretary and trying to hold him to account, fgs, he should be establishing what happened.

LadyBiscuit Tue 14-Dec-10 10:10:32

He made the presenter look like an absolute idiot.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 10:17:04

Message withdrawn

Litchick Tue 14-Dec-10 10:41:11

I'm hapy that the interviewer gave Jody a good grilling.
To do otherwise would have been patronising.

And Jody came across very well indeed.

The police have really shot themselves in the foot with this.

DancingThroughLife Tue 14-Dec-10 10:51:30

Oh god, this was awful. I was cringing this morning watching it. I think we all know who the winner in that interview was. They obviously wanted to give him a good grilling but they didn't quite get the questions right.

FWIW, both those presenters were absolutely useless. A bit later in the programme they were asking Jeremy Clarkson about why people have a pssion for cars hmm. Like he said, some people like art, some people like cars. Well, duh.

mammyshere Tue 14-Dec-10 10:57:41

The beeb sshould be ashamed. What a farce. Jody was eloquent and remained so throughout some very aggresive questioning. The interviewer appears to be trying to use leading questions to form an argument in favour of the police actions. Shame on him. Complete disregard to Jodys arguments, trying to paint Jody as some form of extreme anarchist who deserved to have been demeaned in this way.

I can only expres delight that Jodys response was so well articulated that he have made the interviewer, the beeb and the police look like fools tripping over his ankles.

Ewe Tue 14-Dec-10 11:03:44

Ben Brown should be thoroughly ashamed of himself, the way he treated Jody McIntyre was appalling. As if the met were the victim in all of this!

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Dec-10 11:12:48

I am appalled by the total bias in all the press about the violence at the protests

It seems there were a minority on both sides engaging in violence, but only one side is getting the condemnation they both deserve.

Where is David Cameron's speech saying police violence is unacceptable?

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Dec-10 11:21:20

"Were you wheeling your wheelchair at the police?"

FFS

He even asked it twice.

This is ludicrous.

I feel like people have been brainwashed about these protests

I just had the misfortune to watch Kelvin McKenzie on This Morning talking about this. It really is fucking depressing stuff.

Mumi Tue 14-Dec-10 11:28:48

I saw This Morning too - I knew these must be bad times as I took the drastic measure of phoning in to "The Hub" blush to correct them grin

Eleison Tue 14-Dec-10 11:29:14

McIntyre is very articulate and impressive. I wish he had Aaron Porter's job.

Eleison Tue 14-Dec-10 11:31:04

Ben Brown's take seems to be that if you are a 'revolutionary' it is ok for the police to fling you about the street.

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Dec-10 11:34:57

LOL @ Mumi. 'The Hub' is about as depressing as life gets.

I used to like working from home. These days I get nothing done because I just spend my time ranting at the twats on the telly

<I know I should turn it off, but it's like crack>

Eleison Tue 14-Dec-10 11:40:53

Apparently a police officer in a London hospital tried to prevent a demonstrator receiving treatment for a life-threatening brain bleed caused by a truncheon blow.

franke Tue 14-Dec-10 12:13:07

I agree with litchick. Ben Brown wanted to avoid patronising Jody McIntyre but in the end was biased, under-prepared and over-aggressive. He just made himself look very silly. Jody on the other hand was articulate, reasoned and suitably disdainful - very impressive.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Tue 14-Dec-10 12:45:31

'But you do say that you're a revolutionary!'
'That's a word, that's not a physical action...'

Love the careful patience with which he explains this.

mammyshere Tue 14-Dec-10 12:50:08

Jody also points out that the desscription revolutionary was used on the internet, not at the event.

mayorquimby Tue 14-Dec-10 13:19:44

"FFS

He even asked it twice"

Well that's because he didn't answer him when he asked.
I think it's fair enough the line of questioning taken.
What happened to the guy seems awful from the footage available, but it's also important to try and tease out the issues as to whether or not the protestor was being disruptive.
I don't think he was and I'm even more in support of him now I've seen this interview. And that is partly because of the way in which the interviewer conducted the interview. Had he simply asked him what happened and accepted what he said without trying to raise the counter-arguments or possibility that he had done something unlawful then it would have added nothing.
He's asked the the questions which needed asking and the guy dealt with them well.
Can't see what's wrong with the interview.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 14-Dec-10 13:40:14

Has something changed recently, that means in the event of a protest, being "disruptive" - not violent, just noisy - is now a) against the law and b)punishable by dragging along the ground?

Too many police seem to think that they are the law, and if you don't do what they say, whether that be shutting the fuck up, or being turned back from going down a certain street, then they are within their rights to do whatever the hell they like to you.

I have been manhandled and threatened with arrest before more than once, for doing nothing more than standing at the road side as part of a pre-arranged protest.

Or to give a milder example, at Reclaim the Night recently the police kept yelling at us to get back in the road and not walk along the pavement at all (I was at the edge and the road was narrowing, I was moved onto the kerb by the crowd). Everyone mostly did what they were told, but I did ask the policewoman nearest me whether they were no longer "public" footpaths, and being assured that they were, continued to walk along them. Seem like sometimes police just like to give orders to check that we are all being good girls and boys.

mayorquimby Tue 14-Dec-10 13:53:47

"Has something changed recently, that means in the event of a protest, being "disruptive" - not violent, just noisy - is now a) against the law and b)punishable by dragging along the ground?"

It seems to have. A lot of the terrorism legislation has put a lot of subjective appraisal into police hands.
Although having said that surely police have been happy to employ their truncheons at a moments notice at protests for years.
Unfortunately I don't think it's a new dilemma.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 14-Dec-10 13:58:09

The police are scared shitless of protests basically and have always done what they can to stop them/make it harder and scarier to go on them. Despite the fact that the right to protest is an integral part of democracy.

I've been thinking about all the lip service that has been given to "young people participating in democracy" the past few years. Don't like it when it actually happens though, do they?

A few stupid thugs don't change any of the issues, some fuckers elements of the media - and OF COURSE the government - are just diverting attention away from themselves. My friends who went on the protest spent most of their time trying to stop the stupid idiots from being vandals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now