Talk

Advanced search

12 year old and anti-terrorist officers

(12 Posts)
WelshCerys Fri 10-Dec-10 18:56:09

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/10/schoolboy -quizzed-cameron-office-picket

Seems to be an extraordinary reaction to a year 7 protest. Perhaps it's going too far to say that the police are becoming politicised but it's tempting ...
Troubled by this.

sarah293 Fri 10-Dec-10 18:59:21

Message withdrawn

Sufi Fri 10-Dec-10 19:05:56

Poor kid. And if I was his mum I'd be filing s formal complaint - threatening a 12 year old with arrest without a parent or guardian present.. not really on, is it?

TheCrackFox Fri 10-Dec-10 19:14:51

-quizzed-cameron-office-picket link

sound like a bunch of power crazed jobsworths.

TheCrackFox Fri 10-Dec-10 19:15:27

link

MrManager Fri 10-Dec-10 20:48:23

Knowingly planning an assembly without notifying the police is an offence. He was interviewed because he was (unknowingly) breaking the law.

WelshCerys Fri 10-Dec-10 23:00:35

These are fair points
However, this child was interviewed at his school without either parent present, or invited to be so.
There's a big difference between telling him about his responsibilities as protest organiser and, according to the boy's own report, talk of arrests. And anti-terrorist offices? Seems a disproportionate response.

MrManager Fri 10-Dec-10 23:06:57

They didn't threaten him with arrest, they informed him that under the law he could quite possibly face arrest.

And his parents were present, kind of - the school is in loco parentis, and the article says his head of year accompanied him.

The article doesn't say it was anti-terrorist officers that interviewed him, just that they contacted the school - a regular officer interviewed him. Besides, it's not like 'anti-terrorist' officers would have interviewed him in full riot gear, that's just the department that deals with assemblies/marches.

Really nothing notable here, just a child informed that they may be breaking the law.

harecare Sun 12-Dec-10 20:21:30

The child is my nephew and I'm rather proud of him! Is it illegal for him to protest outside Cameron's office to highlight the plight of his youth club - assuming the group who organised the protest informed the police?
I'd love to say he is politically active at 12, but in truth the protest was organised by "Save our Youth Centres", he just set up the FB group.
I am not sure if they let the police know.
He wasn't just told that holding a protest is unlawful unless you have told the police, he was intimidated:
"if David Cameron was in, his armed officers will be there 'so if anything out of line happens ...' and then he stopped."

giveitago Mon 13-Dec-10 13:59:26

Why don't any of the links work? No idea what you're talking about because links just don't work? But interested.

harecare Mon 13-Dec-10 16:26:33

I have done my nephew a disservice, he actually set up the group "Save our Youth Centres".
He got paid for his interview with the Mirror and is apparently giving that money to the cause. I don't think I'd do the same if I was in his position. I would advise him that since he has no computer at home - he uses the one at Youth Club and the Library, he should buy one for home so that he will have it when the youth club inevitably closes.

Catkinsthecatinthehat Wed 15-Dec-10 14:10:40

Well, both the police and school have now admitted they were in the wrong. A senior officer rang Nicky's mother and made a grovelling apology - he regrets and apologises for the impact the officer's behaviour had on the family.

The school have also confrirmed they should not have allowed the police interview to go ahead without his parents being informed, and have similarly apologised.

www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/8736991.Police_say_so rry_to_12_year_old/

Good for Nicky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now