Talk

Advanced search

So that is why I am paying more council tax.

(10 Posts)
jodevizes Sun 05-Dec-10 16:58:25

I cannot believe this http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05122010/58/london-2 012-mayor-cancels-fifa-london-2012-rooms.html

to think I have to pay increased council tax so that these over paid football morons can live it up in a 5 star hotel for 2 weeks is a disgrace.
Who else is getting this largess? The MCC, the RFU the world tiddley winks committee?

I think this needs a Panorama investigation.

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 05-Dec-10 17:01:20

couldn't agree more. how can there ever be any suggestion of spending public money on this kind of thing?

huddspur Sun 05-Dec-10 17:21:52

It was all part of the plan to get the world cup here in 2018

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 05-Dec-10 17:43:11

I know but that doesn't make it reasonable. Business sponsorship would have been a more appropriate source of funding for something like that than public money, if it really was the case that this was coming out of our taxes.

am hoping someone who knows will come along and tell me it wasn't public money but given that Boris seems to have been in charge of it I assume it was....

huddspur Sun 05-Dec-10 17:46:14

I bet it was taxpayers money. We often use public money to host dignatries such as heads of state and NGOs, if we'd got the world cup the extra revenue would have more than covered this expense so I don't really see the problem.

sethstarkaddersmum Sun 05-Dec-10 17:47:20

because these weren't heads of state they were representatives of a corrupt sporting organisation.

huddspur Sun 05-Dec-10 17:48:39

They are the heads of a NGO who we needed to please if we were to get the world cup in 2018.

jodevizes Sun 05-Dec-10 18:15:37

So what is the difference between being allowed to run up a hotel bill of thousands and getting them in a scabby brown envelope?

bna Sun 05-Dec-10 19:10:51

One is subtle, one isn't

SausageMonster Sun 05-Dec-10 22:48:27

Bristol council has lost £300K that they spent on the FIFA bid - outrageous angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now