Advanced search

What an amazing man

(7 Posts)
Shaxx Sat 04-Dec-10 19:56:50

I just saw this on the news and thought it deserved an airing

Man pulled from the path of a train by off duty policeman

lollipopshoes Sat 04-Dec-10 19:58:30

jeeeee-sus!

He looked so calm, almost like he was strolling along the track!

NormaStanleyFletcher Sat 04-Dec-10 19:59:55

Well done that man - if it was on the news was it recent/?

Shaxx Sat 04-Dec-10 20:03:25

Yes Norma, I just saw it now on the evening news. I've forgotten which channel.
I was so impressed by it.
Its not often you see such good news.

claig Sat 04-Dec-10 21:41:39

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing. I think there are guardian angels around and miracles happen.

Sidge Sat 04-Dec-10 22:12:36

Crikey!!! shock

So calm and collected!

I'd have needed new pants if that were me.

hugglymugly Sat 04-Dec-10 22:41:46

There was an area on the internet where I used to hang out, and one of the participants was a UK train driver. He had a "one-under" and occasionally, briefly, talked about his experience. From memory, he was off work for about a year, and I'm not sure he ever managed to get back into the cab again. Whenever something like this happens, I think about whoever was in the cab. Although drivers are applying the brakes as the train draws into the station, it's a controlled braking designed for a smooth stop along the length of the platform. Emergency stops are very difficult even at that low speed.

Off-duty policemen, like paramedics and firefighters, can have had experience of one-unders, or have heard graphic details of them, so that policeman probably acted with some clear idea of what the consequences for him could be. I hope both the driver and the police officer get some good counselling and support.

But, also kudos to the waiting passengers on the other platform. There's not much anyone can do in those circumstances, but they did what they could.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: