Talk

Advanced search

Berlusconi profited from secret deals with Putin

(13 Posts)
AbsofLatkes Thu 02-Dec-10 16:15:08

Busted!

When when when will the Italians finally vote him out?

giveitago Fri 03-Dec-10 14:48:01

Well, yes, most probably.

Perhaps Italians are unconcerned about how he profits as long as he gets the country back on his feet. You'd have to ask the Italian mners (there are quite a few) for their view.

I personally can't stand him but Italy is a sovereign country and the people will vote how they want. Noting a fair whack of the media has his influence.

I reckon he's on his way out but might take some time. No leader can last forever.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 15:00:05

There are simply too many reasons why Italians keep voting for Berlusconi, would you like a list?

I've never voted for him, I've always had left wing beliefs.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 15:05:19

The main reason why a good proportion of Italians vote for Berlusconi is that Italians don't hold progressive views. Lets face it, lots of Italians are right wing.

Also, many Berlusconi voters have been so brainwashed by the Berlusconian propaganda (he has ruled over the Italian media for more than 20 yrs) that they don't get scandalized by his sexual scandals, don't believe he has links with the mafia, don't believe that he has profited from deals with Putin, think that there are countries plotting against Italy etc etc etc.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 15:07:37

Also, the PD (the democratic party) keeps making mistake after mistake and finds it difficult to seduce voters who are undecided.

Miggsie Fri 03-Dec-10 15:09:19

Bit sad that the countries they rule cannot find viable alternatives to arrogant, corrupt, abusive, vicious men with moral scruples that would embarass Al Capone...

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 15:24:03

Yes, it is awful. To be honest, I was very upset that Tony Blair seemed quite friendly with Berlusconi.

giveitago Fri 03-Dec-10 16:10:38

Wow Franca - subject close to your heart.

Franca is right - we have our view from overseas but you do need to look at the Italian point of view.

I don't even think it's about left and right I think it's about personalities and what they appear to offer. I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between left and right in Italy but if you were to name a famous Italian leader (as a foreigner) it would be Mussolini and Berlu. Nothing inbetween.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 16:22:42

Well, you see, we did indeed had some great politicians in the past here. Thankfully Italy is not just Mussolini (gasp!) and Berlu (boak).

But Italy's history is complex and at times tragic, and the events of last 20 yrs have been so difficult to understand.

Interestingly, one of the best interpreter of Italy's contemporary history and society is an English, Paul Ginsborg, I recommend his works to anyone interested in my messy country.

giveitago Fri 03-Dec-10 17:53:02

Note franca I said famous - not good! My dh was a Prodi fan - where is he now?

Mind you, look at the UK government (slinks off and hides).

Francagoestohollywood Fri 03-Dec-10 18:04:19

I liked Prodi too. He disappeared after his govtm fell because of bloody Mastella (I suspect another plot of B.) and just went back to teaching. He's been giving interviews lately, but I don't think he is keen to come back.

giveitago Fri 03-Dec-10 18:54:07

He was a teacher.cool - and he's gone back to it. Good on him.

Dunno who mastella is (but shall look him up later tonight!).

Francagoestohollywood Sun 05-Dec-10 18:30:08

Oh no, he was a University professor. He was one of the few who gave up his tenure when he started to work as a politician.
When his govt collapsed 2 yrs ago, he was invited to teach for 1 yr in a Chinese Univeristy. And he also claims he enjoys more free time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now