Talk

Advanced search

Plans to axe the whole of Camden's play service

(7 Posts)
mslucy Thu 25-Nov-10 21:34:48

I am absolutely boiling with anger after hearing that the entire play service - after school clubs, breakfast clubs and holiday playschemes maybe AXED for ever, from 2012.

Camden council is debating this next Wednesday.

Sorry if this seems parochial, but the service is amazing and if they are thinking about doing it here, then the rest of the country will doubtless be affected.

The after school clubs and holiday playschemes are a lifeline for working parents and the kids love it.

A big fat slap in the face for the squeezed middle.

If you live in the area, make sure your voice is heard.

If you don't live in the area, see this as the shape of things to come.

telsa Thu 25-Nov-10 22:14:53

There is a lobby of the council on 1 December - against this outrageous move. 6pm at the Town Hall on Judd st./

The scrapping of the play service is just one of a raft of measures:
read about it here:

www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2010/nov/deepest-eve r-cuts-how-they-will-affect-us-all

mslucy Thu 25-Nov-10 22:48:48

see you at the demo.
email councillor Theo Blackwell.
He wants to help.
theo.blackwell@camden.gov.uk

KathiePH Mon 29-Nov-10 15:06:37

Playcentres and After School Clubs have been running for years. In Victorian and Edwardian times they ran by gas light! (I wasn't around then, but told by a family relative!!)They used to be for the social and self development for Children but now are run as money making (or as in this case,not) and as a Business has failed. Voters are enticed by the promises their Council Tax will not rise and little do they realise they may have an extra £2 in their weekly pocket, but services then get cut. The Government wont help as their ideaology is 'if you cant afford it. you shouldn't have it'. The Council will not be able to subsidide any more and so the Children of Camden and no doubt other areas will roam the streets once again with no purpose. I worked for Camden Play for 37 years and can only say how sad I am to see what's happened. Keep fighting and protesting and good luck! Kathie Perry-Herdman

cliveball Tue 30-Nov-10 23:09:31

IMAGINE NO SUMMER PLAYSCHEME IN 2012-2000 CHILDREN WITHOUT PLAYSCHEME - CHILDREN LEFT HOME ALONE, RETURN OF LATCH KEY CHILDREN (SURPRISING HOW MANY PEOPLE IN THERE 20s DON'T KNOW THE TERM) INAPPROPRIATE CARE ARRANGEMENTS, OLDER SIBLINGS LEFT LOOKING AFTER YOUNGER ONES ETC
CHILDREN EITHER STAYING INDOORS (ESPECIALLY YOUNGER ONES) OR OUT AND ABOUT IN THE STREETS AND PARKS
INCREASE IN ACCIDENTS INJURIES - ROAD ACCIDENTS AND IN THE HOME
CHILDREN IN THE SPECTRUM OF A BIT NAUGHTY, MISCHIEF, ASB, AND CRIME
PARENTS ON BENEFIT CUTS - MAJOR BARRIERS ARE NO JOBS AND NO CHILDCARE
SOME OF THE ABOVE WILL PUT INCREASE DEMAND ON THE RESOURCES AND COULD COST MORE IN THE LONG TERM
THERE IS A STATUTORY DUTY ON THE LOCAL AUTHORITY TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT CHILDCARE.SECTION 6 CHILDREN ACT 2006.
THE PROPOSAL TO WORK WITH THE MOST VULNERABLE ONLY IS TOTALLY AGAINST PLAYWORK ETHOS AND PLAYWORK PRINCIPLES - HAVING AN INCLUSIVE APPROACH TO WORKING WITH ALL CHILDREN ENSURE THOSE WITH CHALLENGING BEHAVIOUR OR LEARNING DIFFICULTIES HAVE PEER ROLE MODELS ETC - ALSO STIGMATISES CHILDREN - "YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE THAT GOES TO THAT SCHEME".

mslucy Wed 01-Dec-10 21:33:57

just come back from the demo outside the Town Hall - there were a lot of people there.

I have also contacted lots of councillors/MPs and put a letter through Ed Miliband's door - he's a parent and a Camden resident and hear that he uses the drop ins at a local play centre.

I have no idea if any of this will help, but I feel it is the least I can do to try and save a valuable service that makes a massive difference to both kids and their parents.

telsa Wed 01-Dec-10 22:56:06

I was there too - nice and rowdy! Let's keep the pressure up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now