Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it's worth it? Private schooling at what cost?

(180 Posts)
indiechick Thu 25-Nov-10 13:13:54

this page
I'm intrigued by this woman, I think it's a bit contrived and apparently she has four children. But do parents really bankrupt themselves in this manner for private schooling?

sarah293 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:15:08

Message withdrawn

Goingspare Thu 25-Nov-10 13:25:12

Often with the Daily Mal, the readers' comments are even better than the articles:

'Can't believe anyone would put their daughters' education before that of their son! And yes, I am female'.

Presumably the poor lad is doomed to a life of illiteracy and shoving people aside in doorways.

sue52 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:40:48

I really think she must be a bit mad to put her family through this much financial stress. She would have been better to pay for extra tuition for all her children and she would still own her home. What will her son make of her attitude when he is old enough to understand that he was the least favoured of the children?

PollyParanoia Thu 25-Nov-10 14:23:43

She sounds like a total loon, even taking into account the fact that it's all drama-ed up for the sake of the article. I googled her and she wrote a nauseating heartrending article about how she transferred one of the daughters to a state school and it was so awful because they had carpet time and daughter couldn't tolerate it. So she promptly transferred her straight back to privaate school. I'm not sure her children are going to thank her for it nor the fact that she's detailed her sacrifices in a tabloid.

Tikitikitembo Thu 25-Nov-10 14:27:54

I couldn't even stand to read the whole thing it was so irritating. Is that their house that the girls are standing in front of ? Hardly living in poverty. Utter nonsense.

Tikitikitembo Thu 25-Nov-10 14:30:59

8,000 pounds a term shock poor poor things it must be so hard. wink

Bramshott Thu 25-Nov-10 14:31:52

Gawd, I read this and it made my teeth itch! She seemed mainly to be obsessed by paying so that her girls would have lovely manners hmm!

siasl Thu 25-Nov-10 14:47:30

Does the Daily Wail have some sort of exclusivity agreement with complete fruitcakes?

A2363 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:47:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tikiinasantahat Thu 25-Nov-10 14:48:23

I wonder if anyone at the school will ever talk to them again. Poor kids.

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Nov-10 15:26:24

Wow, I don't know if I feel sorrier for the girls, knowing that their parents are in such a financial mess supposedly for their benefit, and now being utterly embarassed in front of their whole school, or for the son who, despite being at a "wonderful" state school, will never be quite as good or valuable in his parents eyes as the well-mannered daughters.

Nobody in their right mind would do this to their family.

MassiveKnob Thu 25-Nov-10 15:32:40

She is after the headmaster giving them free/reduced places, that is what is behind this.

Just as a slight off topic , I had siblings in private and I went to a state grammar. There was and never has been any resentment between us all. In fact speaking about it the other day, we all said,we never even thought about it.

I also have dc in private and dc in state.

Back on subject, the woman is a complete twat who has humiliated her family. Just imagine those poor children going into school on that!

SleepingLion Thu 25-Nov-10 15:36:27

She is utterly bonkers. Presumably she's getting paid for the article...

alexpolismum Thu 25-Nov-10 15:40:09

oh, now I get it. So that's why I am so uncouth and rude and have such bad manners. It's because I went to state school. Poor me, I never learnt how to behave properly.

scurryfunge Thu 25-Nov-10 15:43:47

I frequently let doors slam in the faces of fellow comprehensive -educated peers.

Snuppeline Thu 25-Nov-10 15:47:55

While I think they're probably going too far in trying to pay for the private school fees (clearly they can't really truly afford it) I guess its their choice to live on the edge financially like this. I wonder though if they also hide the money worries from their daugthers? I mean it would be pretty ironic if either of the daughters don't turn out as mummy and daddy clearly hopes they will (I am thinking of a scenario where they might consider that the money wasn't quite as well spent nor their efforts quite as appreciated as they might hope for). Anyway each to their own!

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Nov-10 15:59:14

I think the girls can't help but be aware of the money worries - they've had to move out of their home, they are late for school because the car runs out of petrol, they rarely have holidays, their clothes come from second-hand shops. I'm not saying that any of that is a terrible thing to have to cope with, but any child at private school is going to find it quite easy to compare their family's lifestyle with those of their school friends and spot the difference.

mummytime Thu 25-Nov-10 16:06:20

She also lives in Haslmere! The alternative is hardly some sink school in the inner city.

Hammy02 Thu 25-Nov-10 16:08:40

It would make more sense to me if she saved money now and sent her kids to private school when they were 12/13. Surely that's the age that the small classes etc would really matter? I remember at school that a few kids left our school at about 13 and went private. Seems a good compromise?

sue52 Thu 25-Nov-10 16:09:12

Just read her article on the trials of finding good domestic help. The woman has a strange set of priorities.

motherinferior Thu 25-Nov-10 16:13:56

I really quite very much hope her daughters run away with garage mechanics or plumbers or similar People Of Whom She Would Not Approve while her state-educated sons breeze through with fistfuls of A*s.

detachandtrustyourself Thu 25-Nov-10 16:29:35

Excuse my manners by saying something so terribly vulgar and rude - She says she won't prostitute herself to pay school fees. But she will use a photo of 2 of her poor children and reveal the name of one of the other ones in a tabloid, telling everyone their private business to make money.

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Nov-10 16:32:17

Well yes, going on the game would at least be honest and probably have less impact on her children.

smallwhitecat Thu 25-Nov-10 16:42:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: