Talk

Advanced search

girl, 15, arrested on suspicion of inciting religious hatred after allegedly burning version of the Koran.

(28 Posts)
Unwind Thu 25-Nov-10 11:42:32

not sure how I feel about this

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-black-country-118352 53

I guess I don't like the idea that a child has been charged with "inciting religious hatred". At 15, could you possibly grasp the implications of burning a pamphlet like that?

Surely burning of any symbols - effigys, flags, pamphlets, crucifixes etc should be within our rights?

There must be more to this story

Unwind Thu 25-Nov-10 11:44:14

sorry, I mistakenly "charged" above, it just says "arrested"

"A 14-year-old boy was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of making threats. Both have been released on police bail."

See, making threats seems like a much better reason to arrest a teenager!

scaryteacher Thu 25-Nov-10 12:10:51

Yes, she could grasp the significance if burning a religious book - my ds could and he's 15 (having an RE teacher Mum helps as well!).

I would be interested to see if there was a similar response if a Muslim kid posted a video of burning the bible. If not, then arresting her is OTT. Would the response have been the same if it was the Hindu/Sikh/Bhuddist/Jewish texts burned?

violethill Thu 25-Nov-10 13:04:42

I agree that a 15 yr old should be able to grasp the significance. She obviously grasped it enough to be filmed burning it, and post the video online.

Himalaya Sun 28-Nov-10 15:04:51

Maybe I'm being dim but I'm well over 15 and I'm not sure I understand the significance of burning a copy of the Koran.

If you are not Muslim it is not all that significant - about the same as eating beef if you are not a Hindu or eating pork if you are not Jewish.

Don't understand why it should be an arrestable offence....

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 28-Nov-10 15:11:25

Did they arrest the muslims who burnt the poppies on remembrance day?

Himalaya Sun 28-Nov-10 15:29:29

As the OP said surely people should be able to burn whatever they like -poppies, flags, books (as long as they are only destroying their own property and doing it safely...probably on school premises is not a good idea...)

It can be offensive, but there is no right to be protected from offense.

mamatomany Sun 28-Nov-10 17:40:27

Poppies aren't a religious symbol as far as i am aware.

longfingernails Sun 28-Nov-10 17:49:41

Why is it so wrong to offend religious people?

Personally I think anyone burning any book is an idiot - but idiocy is not a crime. Causing offence because you think someone's ideas are stupid - even doing so provocatively - is no crime either.

I don't like offending people but will defend the right to do so.

lilyliz Sun 28-Nov-10 18:51:41

Bibles were defaced in Glasgow as an art exhibition at one of the council run galleries,big hoo haa from members of the public who were offended (can't blame them) but nothing happened and no arrests,now imagine if the bible was swapped for a koran,this is the double standard hypocrysy we have to put up with and we now seem to have one law for us and another for muslims as government so afraid to offend them.

edam Sun 28-Nov-10 18:56:50

oh FFS. There IS no law against burning sodding books. Ruddy coppers and CPS, getting far too big for their regulation boots.

I do not approve of burning books at all but pretending it is a crime is just ridiculous.

Himalaya Sun 28-Nov-10 21:15:36

edam, longfingernails I agree...

scaryteacher be interested to know what your 'RE teacher position' is on this - you seem to be saying it ought to be obvious to any educated person, but not sure what it is that is obvious.

lilyliz Sun 28-Nov-10 21:34:41

agree with you Edam it's not burning books but the way these sort of things are treated that causes any bother.The police,goverment etc need to wise up and chill out a bit.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:37:37

this is how I feel about it, a man get threateded and the police don't want to do anything - yet burning a book of paper gets an arrest

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:39:19

consistencey - lets get some in Britain and try treating all books and people the same

BeerTricksPotter Sun 28-Nov-10 21:47:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:51:01

then why only when particular text sacred to another religion?

BeerTricksPotter Sun 28-Nov-10 21:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 28-Nov-10 21:58:48

If it is 'conduct liable to cause a breach of the peace', by all means arrest on those grounds. There should be no need for special treatment based on religion.

Himalaya Sun 28-Nov-10 22:58:15

Inciting hatred is not the same thing as causing offense.

QueenGigantaurofMnet Sun 28-Nov-10 23:06:38

so you can now be charged with causing religious hatred. but not just general hatred?

its just that i have seen quite a few extremists spouting allsorts of rubbish about the infidels and the murderous west etc etc.
The BNP stands that shout about the immigrants "stealing our jobs" and taking our benefits etc.
the police never arrest them as they cause no crime apprently.

and yet a young girl who burns a book, and let us be honest the Qur'an/bible et al are merely books, gets arrested.

it is ridiculous

Kaloki Sun 28-Nov-10 23:10:18

What she did was undeniably incredibly stupid, but a crime?? Hardly.

scaryteacher Mon 29-Nov-10 08:30:13

'scaryteacher be interested to know what your 'RE teacher position' is on this - you seem to be saying it ought to be obvious to any educated person, but not sure what it is that is obvious.'

I meant that my ds knows that this would be counted as inciting religious hatred because he watches the news; reads the papers, and has an RE teacher for a mother who discusses these issues with him, and the general politics surrounding them. I'm also his RE teacher, so this comes up in lessons as well.

The point was made that a 15 year old wouldn't be aware of the significance of the act - if they have any form of half decent RE teaching, and hopefully some knowledge of current affairs then they should have realised what they were doing would have repercussions.

Himalaya Mon 29-Nov-10 20:00:12

Scaryteacher - I'm not sure it's that clear cut. Here is a forum of current affairs following adults and the consensus seems to be more towards the view that the police overstepped the mark in arresting this girl, and that burning magic books should not be an offense.

Maybe you are taking an overly reverential position in teaching kids that inciting hatred of people is the same thing as being disrespectul of a particular set of beliefs and taboos.

I agree any 15 would have known this was offensive behavour. But if being an offensive teenager was against the law they'd all be in prison.

GothAnneGeddes Mon 29-Nov-10 22:00:31

What worries me is that she lives in an area with a large number of Muslims. So Muslims are not just 'scary people on tv' to her, they're her classmates, neighbours, teachers, her G.P, the woman behind the checkout at the supermarket, etc.

It sounds very unhealthy to have such hatred for people you live in such close proximity to. Where has she got such hatred from?

Arresting her won't solve anything, I think she needs counselling and community outreach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now