Talk

Advanced search

Royal Wedding street cleaning costs to the taxpayer estimated to be and interestingly enough, the street cleaning alone could be £40,000 alone!!!

(16 Posts)
nappyaddict Tue 23-Nov-10 22:14:21

The Royal Family have enough money ... why can't they pay for it!

Pixel Tue 23-Nov-10 23:29:36

Why can't the 'taxpayers' not drop litter in the first place? wink

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 23:31:02

grin

nappyaddict Tue 23-Nov-10 23:32:45

I thought the street cleaning was for wedding related rubbish not necessarily litter?

WhyHavePets Tue 23-Nov-10 23:34:26

I doubt it anything wedding related will be snatched up and sold on ebay kept as a momento of a great occasion!

Chil1234 Wed 24-Nov-10 12:14:04

Expect London's council taxpayers also foot the bill for clearing up after the Lord Mayor's Parade, the Notting Hill Carnival, the Gay Pride March, random protests (e.g. Students), Trooping of the Colour, Cup Final crowds..... What's your point exactly?

Niceguy2 Wed 24-Nov-10 12:50:20

Would you expect a bill for some strangers who'd turned up to see your wedding who dropped litter?

nappyaddict Wed 24-Nov-10 15:28:43

Chil all those things are for anybody to go to though. I am presuming the whole of the UK isn't cordially invited to the wedding.

eaglewings Wed 24-Nov-10 15:32:52

Just think of the number of people who will get extra pay, or even a job because of the wedding..all that money coming in from tourists visiting the capital

ElspethDiggory Wed 24-Nov-10 15:35:20

LOL! Well said Pixel. FGS the wedding will generate an immense amount of income, these 'it will cost the tax payer' and 'why can't they pay for it' threads are going to be very tedious.

Chil1234 Thu 25-Nov-10 10:15:47

"I am presuming the whole of the UK isn't cordially invited to the wedding."

And I'm presuming the street cleaners won't be flicking their dustpan and brush around the pews at the Abbey. It's for the litter left behind by the crowds along the procession route (but you know that, of course) .... and you, me and everyone else can wander along and take a look, totally free of charge. Think you're trying to make a 'big ishoo' where none exists.

nappyaddict Thu 25-Nov-10 17:11:37

They could just not have a procession route? But then I don't really see why you would want to go and watch people you don't know about to get married.

Chil1234 Thu 25-Nov-10 17:14:17

I won't be there on the day, probably at home watching it on TV like millions of others. You don't have to watch if you don't want to - it's a free country. But you can be sure that lots of people will be camping out on the Mall or wherever to be sure of getting a front-row view. They did for his mother's funeral... they'll do it for his wedding.

merrymouse Fri 26-Nov-10 10:57:16

As long as the streetcleaners are paid a fair wage and the expense of the wedding goes into the pockets of the populace, I don't think it's too much of a problem. Just income redistribution.

merrymouse Fri 26-Nov-10 10:58:48

Who gets the money for the worldwide TV rights?

longfingernails Fri 26-Nov-10 11:03:56

merrymouse Good point. I hope it is not the BBC.

It would be best if the TV money was used for some national debt repayment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: