Pope condones condoms

(15 Posts)
snicklesneeze Sat 20-Nov-10 21:02:00

Not seen it on here, apologies if already posted

link

groak Sat 20-Nov-10 21:09:45

Fantastic, about time!

BadgersPaws Sat 20-Nov-10 22:43:20

If the Pope's right and there is an afterlife there's a million or so Africans up there right now who are waiting for a chat about his Church's attitudes to contraception and how if he'd had this revelation a few years ago they might have been able to have that chat in person here on earth.

claig Sat 20-Nov-10 23:37:45

Reading it carefully, it looks like he is talking about homosexual prostitutes. It doesn't look like he means for heterosexuals where conception is possible. I think the article is slightly misleading, althoigh the "exceptional circumstances" part seems accurate, and possibly refers to homosexual prostitutes. When the full interview is revealed, it may become clearer.

FairyArmadillo Sat 20-Nov-10 23:53:18

Because homosexual prostitutes are the only people who get and spread AIDS? Seriously hope we're not getting the full picture of what he means here!

Unwind Sun 21-Nov-10 00:13:16

...The Pope gives the example of the use of condoms by male prostitutes as "a first step towards moralisation"...

..."If the intention is to prevent transmission of the virus, rather than prevent contraception, moral theologians would say that was of a different moral order."

This suggests that using contraception is worse than sex outside of marriage, in the Catholic church's view

Tortington Sun 21-Nov-10 00:22:20

i'm not sure he does tbh.

although if catholics spin it that way - GREAT!

i was asked once by my priest if i was using contraception. he was a veryold priest, he was in fact a canon. i said that yes i ws, becuase if i had any more children i'd kill myself.

he just nodded grin

diddl Sun 21-Nov-10 09:10:14

Well he doesn´t seem to be condoning it betweem couples as a form of contraception, does he?

ragged Sun 21-Nov-10 09:46:30

I'll bet he'll backtrack.
I thought that condoms within a marriage where one partner knew they were positive was already allowed (as long as the intent was to prevent disease not conception)?

sieglinde Sun 21-Nov-10 11:08:56

It's always been the case that something which prevents conception is legit if it's not used for that reason - like eg some medications Think he's just confirming this and giving an example.

The article as a whole is interesting.

edam Sun 21-Nov-10 20:20:29

Apparently we have to wait until the book is published on Tuesday to get the full story. But IF he is saying the Church will abandon its stance on condoms wrt HIV, that is seriously good news. (Assuming this includes heterosexual relationships too.)

essenceofSES Mon 22-Nov-10 21:58:10

I heard on the radio today that his exception was male prostitutes because that would not involve prevention of potential fertilisation. I wonder whether that would start to extend further - eg: heterosexual couples where the woman is post-menopausal?

PrematureEjoculation Mon 22-Nov-10 22:06:15

i think this isn't likely to be as big as it is being made - as after all, the situations listed abovve are hardly those considered moral by the church anyway.

sex within marriage where condomnsdon't prevent conception...fairly narrow set of circs,...

essenceofSES Mon 22-Nov-10 22:08:06

I agree but this is still the first time any concession has been made about the legitimate use of condoms. It may well be decades before any further movement on this happens though...

lilyliz Tue 23-Nov-10 17:14:26

If you are catholic use the cotraception go to conffesion say your penance and carry on,mums did it round here years ago about the pill

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: