Talk

Advanced search

This is in the DM, desperately hoping it isn't true (distressing, relates to abortion)

(30 Posts)
StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 16:00:14

'Should we have an abortion - you decide?'

If true, what are these people thinking??

wukter Thu 18-Nov-10 16:03:51

It's a prolife stunt. It must be.

frgr Thu 18-Nov-10 16:04:44

hmm I'm not even sure what to say about that. I'm shocked that anyone would be so flippant about such a decision sad (I'm pro-choice but, it does make me think when it says they've conceived several times this year and now they're thinking of aborting? Why? Why would anyone do this? This couple are in a position to access contraception, I just don't understand this situation at all.)

StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 16:04:51

and just for the record I don't have a problem with abortion in principle and I do support the right to choose, however the thoought of an abortion at 17+ weeks where the decision has been influenced by popular opinion is wrong.

StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 16:05:31

I hope so wukter, don't really 'get it' if it is

wukter Thu 18-Nov-10 16:06:58

But they've posted ultrasound pictures, they've given it a cute little nickname. It's overegging the pudding re 'flippant' decisions.
I don't believe they are in anyway advocating the ProChoice position.

StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 16:08:58

I hope not
either way, difficult to see how they'd be good parents

nannynobnobs Thu 18-Nov-10 16:09:21

I think they should have the baby and put him up for adoption. If they chose to 'keep' him how could they ever reconcile themselves with the fact that they did this? What if the child found out? To put ultrasound scans up and a nickname- it's like posting photos of a puppy and saying "shall we keep him or drown him? You choose!"
(I am pro choice but this is so wrong on so many levels. I hope it is not real.)

LaurieScaryCake Thu 18-Nov-10 16:15:18

Oh God, they're American - it's likely to be some anti-abortion stunt by some really right-wing Christians hmm

I'd rather it was real and they were just a bit thick and thought that the internet was the right place to get good advice from strangers.

LaurieScaryCake Thu 18-Nov-10 16:17:26

Oh they claim it's not a pro-life stunt

I'm not quite sure I believe that.

saffy85 Thu 18-Nov-10 16:23:00

Whatever they decide to do, quite frankly they don't deserve to have any children. At all. Ever. Stunt or not.

Hammy02 Thu 18-Nov-10 16:23:59

I am not pro-abortion but how bad at parenting would they be if they think this is a normal way to behave.

Sidge Thu 18-Nov-10 16:26:34

This is utterly repellant.

I am absolutely pro-choice but this seems to be an extension of the X-factor/IACGMOOH/American Idol mentality. I mean they may as well have a phone line for people to call and vote so they can pay for the termination.

Ugh it disgusts me. And there is another option between abortion and keeping the baby. It doesn't appear that adoption is something they are considering.

emptyshell Thu 18-Nov-10 16:40:44

The bit that got me wasn't the pro/con abortion choice.

It was the fact they've had two miscarriages in ten months, then they get what most of us who suffer miscarriages would give ANYTHING for - a scan with a wiggler and a heartbeat... and they're X-factoring it away! I can't reconcile them going through the pain of miscarriage (and I would have sold my soul to an eternity of damnation for a happy ending in the scan room) - and then doing this.

TheFeministParent Thu 18-Nov-10 16:46:00

Weird that they are giving the fetus such a personality with a name and pictures....

StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 17:02:27

I agree emptyshell
It must be a publicity stunt.
I don't get it though, so I must be thick - are they trying to make a point about people who have abortions for reasons that aren't 'good enough'?
Even as a publicity stunt it is an awful, hurtful, toxic thing to do. Imagine knowing that the people who should have been dedicated to your health and welfare were auctioning your life away at 17 weeks.

FreudianSlimmery Thu 18-Nov-10 17:31:49

That is horrible they just need to decide either way, if they do abort they should do it asap rather than leave the baby to grow first.

FreudianSlimmery Thu 18-Nov-10 17:35:48

Wow I didn't even read the bit about them miscarrying before (I gave up as I got pissed off when they mentioned voting and American Idol)

That makes me a bit hmm as to whether it's real too.

AntPants1 Thu 18-Nov-10 17:50:58

I have no idea if this is for real or not.

They cannot imagine the pain they are causing people like me who had a termination for medical reasons - for me at 20 weeks.

It was and will always be the most heart breaking decision I have ever made. Two years later I still grieve for my son.

Whether this is true or not they are total shits.

TheFoosa Thu 18-Nov-10 19:03:24

don't believe it

they sound completely loopy either way

weekendfun Thu 18-Nov-10 21:58:35

I think it's their right to choose, and they have the right to seek whatever information they want to make that choice. Women post all the time here to get opinion on similar choices, so it doesn't seem so far-fetched to me.

<shrugs>

StealthPomBear Thu 18-Nov-10 22:04:05

Get an opinion, from people who have made similar decisions and may have advice / experience to share is one thing.
Just saying "Do I abort - yes or no?" is sick, whether on here or on an online poll.
Ants, sorry to hear your story

wukter Thu 18-Nov-10 23:12:04

Agreed Ants, total shits.
Sorry for your loss.

It belittles everyone who has ever had to make that decision.

StealthPomBear Fri 19-Nov-10 08:41:02

Does anyone know when the poll closes? I have to know how this ends, hoping it ends in the baby being adopted by people who are fit to be called parents

MissAnneElk Fri 19-Nov-10 09:01:28

Stealth it closes 2 days before the 20 week cut off point.
If it is a stunt I don't get it.
They say things like they're too old to change their ways and he says he thinks he'll be too old at 50 when his child is 'graduating' from childhood. Too old FFS they are both 30. If they are for real and go ahead with the pregnancy I feel very sorry for their son when he is old enough to find this on the Internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now