Talk

Advanced search

Child beauty pageants - now popular for boys to enter too...

(3 Posts)
doodlebug113 Wed 17-Nov-10 17:07:30

abcnews.go.com/GMA/pageant-boys-competing-crowns-g irls-world/story?id=12056210

Ok now I'm sure everyone will be in agreement about how, ermmmm, WRONG those American child beauty pageants are, but I came across this news story which just gave me the complete creeps.

Apparently child beauty pageants for boys are gaining popularity in the states too. Horrible horrible horrible. Creepy paedophilc overtone aside, how depressing is it that the main thing being drilled in to these childrens heads from a young age is that beauty is the most important quailty for them to posess?

Chil1234 Wed 17-Nov-10 17:21:52

I wonder why some of these people don't just get a poodle, trim it with ribbons and stick it in a dog-show. Living out failed dreams of stardom vicariously through children can present all kinds of problems IMHO

chihiro Wed 17-Nov-10 17:32:32

Bit depressing how they have taken the story and made it into a positive Billy Elliott-style 'look boys can do ballet too' type thing. I think it's great little Zander is doing ballet, it's only the concept of beauty pageants that I loathe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now