Talk

Advanced search

Rickets in Southampton...

(16 Posts)
Longtalljosie Sat 13-Nov-10 07:58:54

Bloody hell...

Although as someone who grew up in Southampton, I think to call it "leafy" is ridiculous. It's a large city just like any other in the UK. There are nice bits and not nice bits. It's certainly not Chelsea.

But it is fairly sunny, which implies people simply aren't getting out enough.

twirlymum Sat 13-Nov-10 08:19:09

My mum has a condition called osteomalasia, which means she needs vitamin D injections. There is a national shortage at the moment, which means my poor mum is in a lot of pain sad
Her doctor told her that 'apparently' so many women in burkha's need vitamin D as they don't get natural light on their bodies, that there isn't enough to go round. Bit sceptical about that hmm

Chil1234 Sat 13-Nov-10 08:50:58

It's true that the increased popularity of full-cover clothing is partly responsible for an increase in vitamin D deficiency problems. People with darker skin colouring also struggle to absorb adequate Vitamin D from sunlight. And breastfed babies are more likely to be Vitamin D deficient if their mother has low levels, than those given formula milk which tends to be fortified. Vegan and very-low-fat diets cut out many natural Vitamin D sources. Vitamin D supplements are available over the counter (no shortage there) but injections to correct a clinical deficiency are a much higher dose

Longtalljosie Sat 13-Nov-10 10:00:00

Yes, I'm sceptical about that too twirlymum - but on a related point, it would be good practice for doctors to mention vit D supplements for women who wear burkhas when they come to the surgery.

My DD is breastfed but has had vitamin drops (inc vit D) from 6 months.

Longtalljosie Sat 13-Nov-10 10:00:38

was breastfed, I should say. I stopped recently <absent-minded emoticon>

abitlost Sat 13-Nov-10 12:44:58

Does anybody know if sun screen lotion precludes the absorption of vitamin D? I've often wondered - particularly as our pre-school (and I think many others) insist that children are covered before arriving at school - no matter what the weather. They keep them in if you've forgotten to put it on. This goes on from May to September. Though do appreciate they need to ensure DCs don't get burnt.

NightLark Sat 13-Nov-10 12:58:25

yes, sun screen is one of the factors implicated. Leave it off, just for a while each day.

It's one reason (the conflict between safe sun messages and vit D messages) that this hasn't had a lot of media time.

Rickets is known to have been on the increase for a few years in major cities, plus sub-clinical levels of vit D deficiency which may have all sorts of implications for later life, including osteomalacia, osteoperosis and other chronic illnesses.

You can only get vit D from sunlight at UK latitudes from about March-Oct anyway. You only need hands/lower arms and face exposed, and only for about 15-30 mins a day to get enough sunlight to make enough vit D.

I work in public health and had to do a lot of research on this as part of my job.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 13-Nov-10 13:12:59

Doesn't surprise me about Southampton. It has some of the most deprived areas in the country, and a lot of parks to be fair. They are doing a lot with Sure Start and with making sure there are playgrounds etc, but it is an uphill battle.

ZZZenAgain Sat 13-Nov-10 13:14:49

That's very helpful NIghtlark. So from November-February, all dc should be taking Vitamin D supplements in your opinion.

ZZZenAgain Sat 13-Nov-10 13:15:22

sorry forgot the questionmark. Do you recommend vit. D supplements for the other months?

Meglet Sat 13-Nov-10 13:19:30

I did wonder about the 'leafy' bit too confused.

cory Sat 13-Nov-10 14:50:14

Right! We're getting out now! <Hauls herself from Mumsnet>

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 14-Nov-10 06:51:16

That is interesting. So, to put nightlark on the spot, would you recommend supplements? My DD is 9.6 and takes a general multivitamin every day. should I get her a specific vitamin D one?

Longtalljosie Sun 14-Nov-10 07:11:35

Do your DD's multivitamins contain vit D anyway though? My Pregnacare conception contains vitamin D2, DD's drops contain D3. Which complicates matters - Nightlark, do you know if these are these all essentially the same thing or are there different sorts of vit D?

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 14-Nov-10 07:22:12

Good plan to check the bottle. Why didn't I think of that. It seems she is getting 100% of her DRA. I just got super concerned because she has a dreaful diet and we live in Belgium which is wetter than it is sunnier or bright.

MrsWeasley Sun 14-Nov-10 12:47:40

Just talking to a friend about this a few days ago. It is apparently getting more and more common and not just in deprived or city areas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: