Talk

Advanced search

is water boarding torcher?

(80 Posts)
ginodacampoismydh Thu 11-Nov-10 23:10:54

what do you all think?

ill check on thread later tomorrow but i just wondered what others thought after mixed reactions on question time im [shocked]

YourCallIsImportant Thu 11-Nov-10 23:13:10

No but it might be torture. wink

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 11-Nov-10 23:13:54

That would be torture, of course

And - yes - of course it is.

UnseenAcademicalMum Thu 11-Nov-10 23:14:28

Do you mean,

"is water boarding torture?"

DuelingFanjo Thu 11-Nov-10 23:14:56

yes.

PaisleyLeaf Thu 11-Nov-10 23:15:32

yes

scurryfunge Thu 11-Nov-10 23:16:23

I think water activity would extinguish any torching.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 11-Nov-10 23:17:08

Yes of course.

juneybean Thu 11-Nov-10 23:17:09

Yes...however you could try it and see for yourself?

hester Thu 11-Nov-10 23:22:30

Yes, of course it is.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 11-Nov-10 23:22:46

of course it is, whether it is defensible is another question

<hopes that there is a word which is the opposite to indefensible>

huddspur Thu 11-Nov-10 23:27:51

Yes

ginodacampoismydh Thu 11-Nov-10 23:30:48

iv killed my own thread with poor spelling. jees, had to happen im rubbish!!

anyway im not changing it, but im shocked that some people think it is defensible "torture" and has a place.

josie14 Thu 11-Nov-10 23:45:43

Yes. Even David Cameron called it torture and added that information gained through torture is unreliable. He certainly didnt look like he supported what Bush thought was ok,

TrillianAstra Thu 11-Nov-10 23:48:14

The first question should be 'does torture work?'

Then we should discuss if it is morally defensible.

Because if it doesn't work then there is no discussion.

TrillianAstra Thu 11-Nov-10 23:48:45

(and seriously - torcher?)

mamatomany Thu 11-Nov-10 23:52:16

Really, you need to ask this ?

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 11-Nov-10 23:54:28

thank goodness for that. It may be defensible, it depends on the greater good IMO

MrsCrafty Fri 12-Nov-10 02:04:24

You wouldn't even be able to discuss it if our 'forces' didn't do it.

This is one of those things that I know will not touch my life and quite frankly I don't want to know about.

Of course, we could disarm and not armorise ourselves and give in and have one political party like the Chinese. In fact they would probably invade us, why not?

Sometimes, war and protecting your country and family, is horrible and horrible things have to be done.

What's the alternative?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 12-Nov-10 02:15:05

"You wouldn't even be able to discuss it if our 'forces' didn't do it." - what does this mean?

It's so lovely for you being so sure that this will never touch your life. What if the fabled Chinese did invade this country and you were suspected of involvement in a plot to overthrow their new government? Stranger things have happened.

Also, torture doesn't work because people will say any old bobbins to make it stop.

And yes OP it is torture. If it was the guy I think you mean on question time he is an arrogant little prick with all the moral fibre of a packet of space raiders.

MadamDeathstare Fri 12-Nov-10 02:41:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCrafty Fri 12-Nov-10 02:45:59

It's so lovely for you being so sure that this will never touch your life. What if the fabled Chinese did invade this country and you were suspected of involvement in a plot to overthrow their new government? Stranger things have happened.

Also, torture doesn't work because people will say any old bobbins to make it stop.

And yes OP it is torture. If it was the guy I think you mean on question time he is an arrogant little prick with all the moral fibre of a packet of space raiders.

Are you in the business of protecting the UK. Probably not.

The very fact that you can say anything you like on this forum is because you live in a country which has an armed force. Yes armed and dangerous and probably torturers.

If you don't like it, then I would say have a great time when you land in one of those countries where you wouldn't be able to write doh without wondering if the thought police would knock on your door. Isn't Switzerland neutral. Perhaps you could live there.

After watching people burn the poppies today, my patience is running thin for people like you.

We should be bloody grateful that there are people out there that are able to torture someone (I certainly couldn't) to make sure you are safe.

I feel very sorry for some of the people who go into the protection of the Uk knowing there are people who feel like this.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 12-Nov-10 03:01:57

I think that's a huge slander on the people who go into the armed forces (I would think most of them) who would not see themselves as signing up to torture people.

"People like you" - PMSL. What do you know about me?

And you are obviously not "in the business of protecting the UK" either, since you admit that this issue doesn't touch your life. So why even think about scoring that point?

MrsCrafty Fri 12-Nov-10 03:06:48

It's not about scoring a point, it's about leaving the armed forces to do as they need to without us 'uneducated as far as war is concerned' to get on with it.

I will never ever understand why people 'like you' question this?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 12-Nov-10 03:10:23

which other people are like me, IYO?

I haven't actually said that waterboarding is wrong, have I? Just that torture doesn't work.

So where are you getting that idea from? Just interested you know since you obviously have spies everywhere.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: