Talk

Advanced search

that shop-lifting police woman cleared....

(8 Posts)
Mirrorball Thu 11-Nov-10 12:38:00

surely this is a total waste of police time/court time/legal costs... she allegedly stole make up worth £12 from tesco... how on earth did this get to court? because she was a police woman, or because she denied the charge of theft?

She's either really stupid and did try to steal it or it actually was a case of an item she put in her trolley and forgot about! sheeeesh.

SausageMonster Fri 12-Nov-10 21:27:24

It went to Crown Court at her request where she would be tried by a jury, rather than having it dealt with at a lower level in the Magistrate's Court.

Anyone faced with a charge such as theft, which calls in question their character and where a conviction could affect their future employment etc can elect to be tried by jury in Crown Court.

The test for conviction by a jury is 'beyond reasonable doubt' so a clever barriaster just needs to plant a seed of doubt in one of the 12 jurors and their client is unlikely to be convicted.

Quite good odds I'd say of getting off.

For the time being anyway, as their are proposals to remove that right.

Pan Fri 12-Nov-10 21:41:23

the thing about 'either way' (CC or mags.) isn't to do with character or employment - it's to d owith the actual alleged offence. Alot of offences are either way.

but yes, the waste of money for small crimes to be heard at CC is vast.

c0rns1lk Fri 12-Nov-10 21:46:58

hello Pan!
<just came on to say that>

Pan Fri 12-Nov-10 21:49:32

hello you!!!

c0rns1lk Fri 12-Nov-10 21:50:02

You are very seasonal. Do you migrate?

Pan Fri 12-Nov-10 21:53:45

Ha ha!! Good one.

yes I am posting from my winter palace in the South Seas. How clever of you to notice!!

c0rns1lk Fri 12-Nov-10 21:56:17

I thought so!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: