Talk

Advanced search

Amazon sells paedophile guide. WTF?

(25 Posts)
winnybella Thu 11-Nov-10 09:24:46

And quite unapologetic they are about it, as well.

I'm against the censorship, but ffs angry

here

Unless the books is just discussing the condition- hard to tell what it's about exactly- but just the title of it...

What do you think?

varicoseveined Thu 11-Nov-10 10:30:48

I was just going to post this! It looks like it's been pulled now, but check the article, they still stock dodgy stuff...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/11/amazon-pulls- pedophile-guide-amid-outrage/

varicoseveined Thu 11-Nov-10 10:31:02

oops www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/11/amazon-pulls-pedophi le-guide-amid-outrage/

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Thu 11-Nov-10 11:04:46

bloody hell!!!!!

and i don't swear much at all

that book is beyond belief

pastyeater Thu 11-Nov-10 11:30:15

I am going to boycott them.

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Thu 11-Nov-10 14:16:49

Yes, Amazon have been a bit stupid here, there's freedom of expression and freedom of expression!

But, I'm more angry that such a book exists and has been 'published' really.

waterbaby100 Thu 11-Nov-10 15:00:56

Self-published ebook... any moron can write an ebook and Amazon will put it up then take like half the selling price.
as for "censorship" they do that all the time when someone p's them off, PLUS that book had been up for ages and they left it even though people had complained and all cos they are money grabbing baskets with absolutely NO morals. and yes it is written by a paedophile. How lovely. they have only taken it down now finally cos of the outcry. hope they choke on the money they made in meantime. it was in the top 100 bestsellers apparently. angry boycotting.

darcymum Thu 11-Nov-10 15:11:46

Just looking for the contact us on their web site so that I can email to tell them to close my account as I won't be using them again.

momentsintime Thu 11-Nov-10 18:29:15

Saw THIS on another website:

Do you really want to protest Amazon's behaviour - then hit them where it hurts>

Go to your local amazon site

go to the topselling books

pick ONE - give it ONE star review but instead of reviewing the book in question state that you're protesting against this paedophile book and their unapologetic idiocy over the whole thing

They will take notice if enough of us do this. Authors, agents, their publishers HATE 1 star reviews as it affects sales PLUS they won't want to be associated with this pedophile book.

Amazon mightn't want to listen to their customers but they will listen to their suppliers.

Give them the headache they deserve

FairyArmadillo Thu 11-Nov-10 18:50:40

shock at varicose's link.... What else do you expect from a website that sold a game like "RapeLay...."

Used to be an Amazon fan. This has tainted my affections.

HecateQueenOfWitches Thu 11-Nov-10 20:26:55

just saw the author on the news

he said

he doesn't think it is always bad for the child shock

that's all I heard because I turned over before my head exploded with pure rage.

sick bastard.

winnybella Thu 11-Nov-10 21:32:38

What?????? shock

sleepycat Thu 11-Nov-10 22:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SequinnedShoes Thu 11-Nov-10 23:01:45

Thought this was quite interesting http://glowstars.net/2010/11/when-free-speech-goes -too-far/

FairyArmadillo Thu 11-Nov-10 23:05:34

Eh???? When is it NOT bad to have sex with children??? angry Very angry

Winedine69me Thu 11-Nov-10 23:26:47

I am so shocked by this. Not just at Amazon but at the author. I can never understand how someone can defend child abuse. Absolutely disgusting. I don't use amzazon and certainly won't use them now.

I read varicose's link, I am horrified at the other things Amazon has sold. Rapelay..shock

bubbleOseven Fri 12-Nov-10 09:44:00

Is the author of this book a paeodophile?

atah Fri 12-Nov-10 09:48:23

momentsintime thats brilliant I am off to the Amazon site to do it right now....

sovreign Fri 12-Nov-10 09:55:20

Personally I think someone should buy a copy for our Home Secretary, so she gets a real idea of what our child protection teams are up against. Remember ladies that this is bad but what we are doing by allowing the Government to close down CYOP is MUCH WORSE. Get on to your local MP now!
For what it is worth, I've sent a global email and text to everyone I know telling them I'm not buying from Amazon anymore.

darcymum Fri 12-Nov-10 14:12:50

Just left this review-

Amazon defended the sale of "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure" saying- "Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable," the company said in a statement to TechCrunch.com. "Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions."

Sorry to the writer, I'm sure your book is very good and don't want you to be associated with this but Amazon have crossed a line and I think people shopping with them should know what other books they think acceptable to sell so they can make an informed choice when spending money.

Other one line book stores are selling A Simples Life, I would use them.

Thank you Moment, great idea.

darcymum Fri 12-Nov-10 14:16:25

Just read this on Amazon web site after clicking publish-

Thanks! Your review is being processed.
Your review will be posted on the site, typically within 48 hours. If you are still unable to see your review on the product page or on your profile page after 48 hours, then your review couldn't be posted on Amazon.com as written. Please read our posting guidelines before resubmitting your review.

I don't think my review will see the light of day.

darcymum Fri 12-Nov-10 14:21:03

Found this though- www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2Y9UJF2KUE72U/ref=cm_cr_p r_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0718154770&nodeID=&tag=&linkCod e=#wasThisHelpful

Click on 'helpful' to get this review to the top and write a comment.

I love direct action, although they have already stopped selling it I want them to feel some pain.

loftylorrie Sat 13-Nov-10 08:32:01

Just so all of you know, I remember when RapeLay came out (and the surrounding hysteria) but I'm pretty sure it was never translated from the original Japanese. Hentai games come in all shapes and sizes, from harmless romance to hardcore stuff. It's a huge business over in Japan. May not be right, but that's how it is.

As for the book, well - that sort of stuff probably exists all over the internet anyway.
Plus, what a lot of people seem to forget is that for the most part, paedophiles are mentally ill. So of course to them it would be a good idea to publish something like this in a misguided attempt to try and get a view they see as "normal" some sort of good publicity.

If people hadn't made such a fuss, nobody would know about it anyway hmm

sovreign Sat 13-Nov-10 10:56:22

Sorry loftylorrie, these people aren't ill they are evil. Sometimes life is very simple and clear - you can get a black and white scenario and this is it. Actually, the vast majority of child rapists are extremley arrogant, manipulative and clever. Quite often lawyers, teachers and police officers. Most Mums probably think they are the best Dads at the school fate.

ZZZenAgain Sat 13-Nov-10 11:00:37

"Amazon defended the sale of "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure" saying- "Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable,".."

well they just lost my business

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: