Talk

Advanced search

Do you have your Dyson serviced or just clean it yourself?

(18 Posts)
naturelover Fri 26-Mar-10 14:02:01

Ours is about 4 years old and not sucking very well and now DS has allergies and I need to take control of the cleaning a bit especially as we have cats.

Just wondering if anyone had their Dyson serviced by Dyson engineer, how much it costs and if it's worth it or is it possible to do it yourself?

Thanks

ShinyAndNew Fri 26-Mar-10 14:04:12

I do it myself. Just take all the parts off that you can and run them under hot soapy water. Leave to dry completely before using again.

MimsyStarr Fri 26-Mar-10 14:06:16

Have you been washing the removable filter bit? I think you are supposed to do that every 6 months or so.

I'd do that first. It's easy.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 26-Mar-10 14:06:52

I take it apart and clean it - not an issue.

SPBInDisguise Fri 26-Mar-10 14:08:36

oooh maybe I should give this a go

OnlyWantsOne Fri 26-Mar-10 14:21:30

yes you should!!!!

Wash the filter thoroughly, and take all the bits apart and give them a rinse

darcymum Fri 26-Mar-10 14:28:48

I just fixed my Dyson! Very pleased with myself! I would just follow the instructions on the web site and do it yourself.

naturelover Fri 26-Mar-10 14:32:46

Thanks everyone. I will make that my job this weekend as it does sound very satisfying.

assumetheposition Sat 27-Mar-10 23:25:03

blush

Have had a Dyson for years. Have emptied it when full.

That's it.

blush

assumetheposition Sat 27-Mar-10 23:25:17

blush

Have had a Dyson for years. Have emptied it when full.

That's it.

blush

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 27-Mar-10 23:29:53

i call steve our dyson man! he is fab. the last time he came out he replaced every single bit of our dyson - rebuilt it and charged me £30 quid - should be about £50 - odd to service but he said some bits were faulty!

it was like having a brand new dyson by the time he finished - he even replaced the cable!

id call dyson out personally. i do it about every 2 years now. mine is still going strong and its about 8 years old

Clumsymum Sun 25-Sep-11 16:33:55

I know this is an old thread, but our 9 y.o. Dyson upright has just split it's long hose. I was looking at buying a new hose, but might get the man in to service it. It has done 9 years of sterling work, dealing with the loose hairs from 2 spaniels an all the detritus that 1 DS and dh and I leave behind. I feel it perhaps deserves a little TLC.

If I pay £73 for a service will the engineer give me a new hose, or will that cost extra ?

bessie26 Sun 25-Sep-11 19:01:34

When our dyson was playing up i phoned the helpline (I had tried washing the filters) and they were very helpful. I bought some new filters & it was like new again! grin

Mammonite Tue 27-Sep-11 22:45:23

You can get Dyson parts from ebay. The wand (well its plastic ends) fell apart on ours and I got a new and better one for £15. I did try the local tip where they had a stack of dead Dysons in different colours, but all had the same part broken.

ColdSancerre Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:00

People clean their dysons? I've had mine 7 years and never cleaned it or had it serviced. Am I a slattern?

Maybe it's time to swap it for a mile cat and dog.

ColdSancerre Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:24

mile = miele

ColdSancerre Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:46

Filters?

bessie26 Wed 28-Sep-11 06:01:58

My SIL never cleaned her filters. The repairman said that was why her motor packed up. I started cleaning mine after she told me that & it does work alot better when it's got clean filters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now