What do people have instead of net curtains?

(65 Posts)
schroeder Sat 02-Jan-10 17:12:55

Our house gives straight onto the street,so we would like some privacy. Currently Have old plain net,but would love something a bit smarter. Any ideas?smile

jaquelinehyde Sat 02-Jan-10 17:15:48

I have nothing up at my window.

I think if you can't afford qood quality wooden blinds, then have nothing. Everything else looks tacky.

Hulababy Sat 02-Jan-10 17:17:47

We only have curtains. However, our living room and bedrooms are on floors 1 and 2, so noone can see in anyway,

SixtyFootDoll Sat 02-Jan-10 17:19:27

I've got vertical blinds.
Not pretty but I like my privacy.

skymoo Sat 02-Jan-10 17:24:01

We have wooden blinds, some bought in b&q or homebase and the others in ikea - not very expensive but look good

Heqet Sat 02-Jan-10 17:26:22

I've got blinds. I HATE net curtains. I am a victim of my mother wink I can't hel pseeing them as really tacky. blush

I hate the blinds too, as it happens, but they are better than nets. If it wa my choice, I'd have nothing, but my husband seems to think that people would queue up to pee into our windows. hmm We don't do anything particularly interesting.

nowwhatdoido Sat 02-Jan-10 17:28:24

We've got some frosted sticky back plastic stuff, it actually looks pretty good. Goes halfway up the window so we can still see out, but people can't see in from the pathway.

Frizbe Sat 02-Jan-10 17:29:14

Blinds smile

SparkyToo Sat 02-Jan-10 17:32:43

We've got Venetian blinds on all windows at the front of the house. They still look great after 10 years and obscure the view of the street.

bibbitybobbitysantahat Sat 02-Jan-10 17:34:08

I think plain white cotton voile can look lovely.

jaquelinehyde Sat 02-Jan-10 17:35:12

Heqet I'm hoping that was a typo in your post?! If not I would bloody move, sod people queuing up to pee in my window shockgrin

OrmIrian Sat 02-Jan-10 17:37:00

Instead of nets?

An outrageous lack of embarrassment and shamelessness.

sarah293 Sat 02-Jan-10 17:37:59

Message withdrawn

Heqet Sat 02-Jan-10 17:39:01

shock blush

peer, I meant peer!!

and - help seeing

and - was

grin

Sorry. have ds1 on space hopper bouncing up and down yelling SMELLY SMELLY SMELLY and ds2 sitting on table saying watch out for pfft, watch out for pffft

Tis quite distracting.

biglips Sat 02-Jan-10 20:09:09

we've got voile with a small patterns scattered all over it but is all in one colour. i soooo hate net curtains.

southeastastra Sat 02-Jan-10 20:10:16

i have plain net curtains at the front - anything with a pattern is naff but plain ones are just er nice

schroeder Sat 02-Jan-10 20:25:22

I could just imagine the queue of people waiting to peegrin.
I like the wooden venetian blinds we have them in the kitchen and bathroom, but they seem a bit too dark for our little front room; can you help me find some nice light coloured ones?

BusyMummyof3 Sat 02-Jan-10 20:28:17

I don't particularly like nets either and would have blinds but DH hates them. So we have a plain net with no pattern and rather than it being gathered it is cut to the width of the window so it hangs flat. That looks quite nice.

Lionstar Sat 02-Jan-10 20:32:50

We have double curtain rails, and on the one closest to the window we have some sheer curtains, a bit like fine muslin (dead cheap from IKEA too). They can be shut and still let lots of light in, or open if we want to be peeped at smile. They don't feel like net curtains IYSWIM.

Most people round here don't have net curtains though. When I used to catch the bus home I used to love being able to look into everyones front rooms and critique their decor. Especially at Xmas smile

GothDetective Sat 02-Jan-10 20:34:16

I've got voile panels but think wooden blinds look better. Do they still let in enough light though?

Saying that I've now bought a campervan and parked that on the drive approx 2ft from sitting room window. So guess we don't really ened anything now!

Get a campervan. grin

littledawleybaubles Sat 02-Jan-10 20:34:20

Shutters are gorgeous but quite pricey.

uglymugly Sat 02-Jan-10 20:38:04

I've got plain voile in my den. They're just a little bit wider than the window, so there's not much drape. They do block a little of the light, but I only notice that when I take them down for washing. But I can still see through them pretty clearly when I'm being nosey watching the wildlife. People can't really see in, even though the pavement is about four feet away.

Heated Sat 02-Jan-10 20:39:16

We have creamy slightly metallic looking Venetians like this. I'd prefer wooden but as the house has a lot of wood, any more would be ott, although probably put venetian in the conservatory. On pita thing about them is they do take a lot of dusting.

domesticslattern Sat 02-Jan-10 21:07:29

john lewis voile blinds

Do the job but not chintzy.

paisleyleaf Sat 02-Jan-10 21:15:35

Plants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now