Talk

Advanced search

Imaginative ideas for a room divider for the boys' room, please

(11 Posts)
Wallace Thu 12-Nov-09 20:34:46

Ds1 is 10 and ds2 is 3. They were in bunks but we have seperated them and want to give them each half of the room.

It doesn't have to be permanent or solid (though ds1 would actually like it to be impenetrable hmm)

Any ideas gratefully received

Forgot to mention - it does have to be cheap!

Ingles2 Thu 12-Nov-09 20:41:42

mmmm...
ok
well you could make a three fold screen out of MDF. You'd have to attach one end to the wall with batons and screws. Then you could decorate each side as your ds's want.
You could paint with blackboard paint for your 3 yr old and could try some decoupage for your 10 yr old. or have a pin board or wall stickers
ds1 and I are making a new desk for his room, we're doing decoupage. it's going to be covered in all his favourite football players and match attax cards! smile
or
you could have some sort of curtain or roller blinds even.
or you could have some free standing shelves that they could put their precious stuff on from each side..
any of those any good?

CarGirl Thu 12-Nov-09 20:44:38

How about one cabin bed in the middle of the room? We've dont that and it worked well.

What shape and size is the bedroom?

DLI Thu 12-Nov-09 20:44:57

my friend's parents (when we were little) did the same thing and she used the wardrobes and drawers as the partition. beds went against the wall at opposite sides and the wardrobes and drawers in the middle back to back

Wallace Thu 12-Nov-09 20:46:22

Those are all good

Shelves would be great, but would probably take up too muh room.

Might go for the MDF idea

Wallace Thu 12-Nov-09 20:50:07

Rectangularish room. Beds have to go perpendicular to each other.

Only one chest of drawers. Wardrobes would have been great, but room is not big enough

Cabin bed/highsleeper is a fantastic idea which I will try to remember for long term.

CarGirl Thu 12-Nov-09 20:54:46

You could put the bunks back up and then board one half in on the lower side and the upper half on the opposite one IYSWIM

Wallace Thu 12-Nov-09 20:58:16

Fab idea! Wish i had asked on here before we took the bunks down!

Ingles2 Thu 12-Nov-09 21:00:33

like this Wallace.
Is your DP/DH any good at diy? are you?
It would cost nothing to make...
then screw two batons along the length of the wall, slide the screen in, screw in, bingo!

CarGirl Thu 12-Nov-09 21:01:28

You could put a short curtain up for your ds1 to drawer across on his side if blocking out the light is going to be an issue.

I assume ds2 spends most of his time downstairs so ds1 is the one actually needing the space and privacy upstairs and ds2 just sort of sleeps up there?

Ingles2 Thu 12-Nov-09 21:01:38

That is a great idea car girl!
do that Wallace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now