Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me what these symbols on my washing machine mean please!

(8 Posts)
fruitstick Fri 06-Nov-09 10:38:05

We are in a rented house and there is no instruction manual for the washing machine.

There appear to be various different programmes at 40 degrees (none at 30 angry) but I can't work out the difference.

There are 2 symbols, one that looks like a conical flask and one that looks like a cloud. There are the same 2 symbols on the dryer setting.

And then there is one that says AA which I thought would be the economy one but it lasts for nearly 3 hours shock

Help!

nancy75 Fri 06-Nov-09 10:44:10

what make is the washing machine?

fruitstick Fri 06-Nov-09 10:48:35

it's a Howdens I thik

shallishanti Fri 06-Nov-09 10:56:17

the conical symbol might mean synthetic fibres?
on ours A is the longest, hottest cycle.
maybe the cloud is a cotton thingy?

squashedfrogs Fri 06-Nov-09 10:58:56

Can you google the make and model number? A lot of the manuals can be found online these days.

fruitstick Fri 06-Nov-09 11:04:33

I tried googling but nothing comes up.

You can buy one for £7.50 though!

MrsBadger Fri 06-Nov-09 11:07:04

the conical flask one is for synthetics ie will be 'gentler' and have a lower spin speed and a lower dryer temp.

the cloud is meant to be a cotton boll and will have a faster spin speed and a higher drying temp.

Remember the drying function of washer/dryers is notoriously shit though - you are better off using a clothes horse by the radiator. And even if you do use it never try and dry more than half a washload at a time.

The AA programme is the economy/ energy efficient one, but this is most likely because it uses cold water and/or a v low drying temp, so needs to run for longer to get the same amount of cleaning/drying done, iyswim - our dishwasher has similar.

fruitstick Fri 06-Nov-09 17:09:45

That makes perfect sense.

Thank you Badger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now