Talk

Advanced search

How do I get dog smell from leather sofa?

(14 Posts)
Indith Thu 05-Nov-09 21:29:14

I got a leather sofa from freecycle, I have removed a load of dog hair from behnd the cushions and wiped it down but there is a lingering smell. I'm going to shove some bicarb down it tonight to hoover up tomorrow but is there anything else I can do? Am normally a chemical free house but if you tell me febreeze or something will actually work rather than just make it smell like a loo I will obey!

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 11:01:40

bump

fannybanjo Fri 06-Nov-09 11:03:15

I am not sure if this will help with dog smell but the best thing to clean leather sofas with is old fashioned soap flakes. I have a cream leather sofa and every couple of weeks I give it a wash down with soapflakes mixed with warm water and a flannel and it comes up like new.

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 11:05:19

I have soap flakes, can do that.

Thanks

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 15:18:53

bump

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 17:34:58

bump

fannybanjo Fri 06-Nov-09 21:22:48

Indith think it may have to be Febreeze! wink

Indith Sat 07-Nov-09 15:42:47

grin And here was me thinking the ladies in good housekeeping knew everything wink

fannybanjo Sat 07-Nov-09 16:31:48

Did you try the soap flakes Indith?

aviation Sat 07-Nov-09 17:08:43

I was told from a sales assistant in a furniture store that baby wipes clean a leather sofa well, just don't rub them too hard (as they are full of chemicals) - more like wipe across. Don't know about the smell though - perhaps scented ones might eventually get rid of the smell. Also FWIW a John Lewis carpet assistant told me that Sainsburys own brand carpet and upholstery cleaner was THE best!

frakkinaround Sat 07-Nov-09 17:14:31

Saddle soap!

Indith Sat 07-Nov-09 20:03:01

Thanks for the suggestions

I must admit to baby wiping it when we got it grin

Didn't have the chance the other night fanny but it has now been soap flaked and is covered in bicarb. Must remember to hoover that off the instant I get up tomorrow else dd will have a field day!

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 07-Nov-09 20:12:42

get a dog then you won't notice the smell wink

Indith Sat 07-Nov-09 20:17:12

grin

Don't tell dh that, he would quite like a dog but I already have the dcs to bound up to me, wag their tails and demand to be played with/fed/go for a walk/anounce that they've done a poo and mummy needs to clean it up I don't need another one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now