Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me why my dishwasher cleans plates OK but covers cups and glasses in a thin layer of what looks like fine vomit?

(42 Posts)
OrmIrian Wed 04-Nov-09 10:26:17

You know what I mean. Looks like partially digested food that's been pureed and spread liberally about the crockery. And the goes hard. Tis vile.

Have cleaned the filter, and the spray arm things, and put the dw through a hot cycle.

Please. Before I take a hatchet to the bloody thing!

alypaly Wed 04-Nov-09 10:27:37

are you putting pans or plates with mashed potato in the dishwasher.

leftorright Wed 04-Nov-09 10:27:54

Beautifully put!! Mine goes through phases of this and I think it means you need to put in more salt and/or rinse aid. Or wash out the filter - basically do stuff that having a dishwasher is supposed to prevent you from having to do! Good luck!

OrmIrian Wed 04-Nov-09 10:29:51

No. Not often anyway. But maybe we need to rinse the plates more thoroughly. I was assuming it could cope with a little mess. I just scrape off the worst of it off.

alypaly Wed 04-Nov-09 10:32:11

was serious about the mashed potatohmm
if i put a pan or plate or my spud basher in the washer it covers everthing with this hard gritty deposit especially on glasses. It feels like sand paper. It is the starchy grains from potato.

littleducks Wed 04-Nov-09 10:32:50

mine does this, you have to clean the arms often stuff gets stuck in there

OrmIrian Wed 04-Nov-09 10:34:05

I know you were! I took you seriously aly. I have noticed it before when hand-washing. But we don't eat it often.

Bramshott Wed 04-Nov-09 10:38:31

We had a man out to look at ours last week, and it was blocked somewhere in the back that you can't get to unless you take the panel off. He recommended using dishwasher cleaner to avoid problems in future.

throckenholt Wed 04-Nov-09 10:40:54

I was going to recommend one of those bottles of dishwasher cleaners too.

I used one on mine last week - and I am amazed at the difference.

Uriel Wed 04-Nov-09 10:42:10

Have you cleaned the big filter/drain thing at the bottom <technical>?

Do you clean the filter every time?

I rinse plates etc before it goes in the dishwasher hmm and I use the prewash if stuff's going to be waiting around for a while. Dh doesn't, and it shows...

Oh, and every now and then I use one of those dishwasher cleaner thingies. Seems to help.

Shiner Wed 04-Nov-09 11:12:12

We had that problem with our old dishwasher (a cheapy Zanussi), it drove me up the wall. Sometimes topping up the salt helped.

What really helped though, was buying a new one...(v. expensive Miele, clean every time!)

OrmIrian Wed 04-Nov-09 20:55:04

Have now cleaned everything there is to clean and put in on a hot hot wash empty. Will see how the next lot come out. May have to invest in special DW cleaner if it doesn't work.

WIll also have to rinse the stuff off better first <mutter about pointlessness of dishwasher>

Thanks.

bosch Wed 04-Nov-09 21:01:22

The only time we get that is when a cup gets turned up and fills with water with grit at the bottom - its the dishwasher tablet that you can see if the 'vomit' is gritty. Try another brand of dishwasher tablets in case yours don't suit your water. I NEVER rinse stuff before putting it in dw, only scrape stuff into bin.

TrinityHasAVampireRhino Wed 04-Nov-09 21:03:11

lol mine does this, great thread
I'm going to try dishwasher cleaner
thanks

shineoncrazyfirecracker Wed 04-Nov-09 21:09:38

Message withdrawn

ilovepiccolina Wed 04-Nov-09 21:14:24

You get around this problem by only putting <slightly> dirty things in the dishwasher. Anything with spot-welded carrot, breakfast cereal, or - worst offender - peanut butter should be washed by hand in very hot water. Potato masher is a definate no-no, unless you've spent ten minutes poking the bits out first.

grin

I can see a scenario in the not-too-distant future of the dishwasher relaxing in front of the telly with his feet up and a cigar, while I stand at the sink, battling with some glued-on apple sauce.

OrmIrian Wed 04-Nov-09 21:15:53

LOL piccolina! I agree. Lazy fecker! grin

ilovepiccolina Wed 04-Nov-09 21:16:30

My dishwasher is definately male.

ours does this especially if we have had any food with spices in it, its a real PITA

ilovepiccolina Thu 05-Nov-09 16:05:13

Perhaps it's a new 'elf & safety thing: 'Dishwashers unite! You can't seriously expect us to deal with dried on food, surely? My contract only covers tea and soup, and no coffee grounds either, do them yourself!'

(Mine definately refuses to deal with coffee grounds, leaves them smeared round the cups... hmm

StealthPolarBear Thu 05-Nov-09 16:07:48

i've had a dishwasher thread yesterday
washing arms worked for me, but am also going to invest in DW cleaner

StealthPolarBear Thu 05-Nov-09 16:08:28

anyone recommend a brand? (price preferably less than a new dishwasher)

sarah293 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:11:14

Message withdrawn

StealthPolarBear Thu 05-Nov-09 16:15:20

riven, the rotator bit comes out of my arms which leaves a hole
wel does for the bottom ones and i'm hoping dh will be ablt to get top ones off - i used cocktail sticks, knife would have been sensible blush

Lionstar Thu 05-Nov-09 16:18:22

I hate the bloody thing - it's a total slave-driver. DP bought it in order to have the excuse not to wash up. Except he never uses the bloody thing and I have to deal with the inticacies of loading (he does critique my attempt though WTF?), and the cleaning etc. I'm sure it's half the reason my bad back remains bad. To be honest I find I just do the washing up instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now