Talk

Advanced search

Feel sick. Have you ever looked under the spout of a Tommee Tippee cup?

(15 Posts)
Thinkstoomuch Sun 01-Nov-09 23:33:12

God I feel so guilty. Today is the first time I've looked underneath the flip-up spout of our Tommee Tippee cups and I can't believe I've been letting my DCs drink from them. Absolutely clogged with black slimy cack in the stupid narrow holes - really, really disgusting. I'm surprised it hasn't made them ill.

Of course I've always washed them, using really hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush. But you can't get under that flip-up bit properly so I thought flushing it through with water was good enough. It's only because I saw some black strain sticking out that I took a knife to it to lever the spout off. blush Probably I'm a total slattern and everyone else knows to pop that bit off and clean it somehow. Why's it so badly designed??

TigerBitesAgain Sun 01-Nov-09 23:34:44

just think of the help you've given to their immune system. Peck of dirt never hurt anyone.

Sounds boaksome though

Penthesileia Sun 01-Nov-09 23:39:10

My DD will only drink from these Tommee Tippee sports-type bottles and she chews her way through a spout a week, so no time to build up gunk, the little monkey. hmm grin

But she does insist on sucking water out of her bath toys which have that yucky old water smell and are undoubtedly all black and loathesome within. So far, no harm done. grin

Bless you. I wouldn't necessarily have thought to look under there either.

But actually, that is because I am a total slattern.

<high fives Thinkstoomuch>

As Nietzsche said, "what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger." My DD's motto.

grin

FromGirders Sun 01-Nov-09 23:39:43

I sympathise, I've been there and done that. They're particularly horrible cups, and I only use them for water now.
However, what you may not have noticed, is that there's a tiny washer around about the hole? It's probably flipped to the other side of the kitchen while you levered the spout off with the knife. Just to help you find it, it's clear hmm. The cup doesn't work without the washer, your lo will just suck in air and get very frustrated.
I recently bought some similar cups from asda, but they don't have mould-encouraging grooves, or stupid tiny washers.

CultureMix Sun 01-Nov-09 23:48:06

The secret to cleaning out spouts properly is..... denture tablets.

Read this somewhere and it really works. Just stick your grubby lids in a big bowl, cover with hot water, drop in a couple of tablets and leave overnight. Presto! Obviously non-toxic and and just hearing the fizzing sound makes you feel that yes the grime is being lifted off.

I do this every few weeks when I think of it, and also for hubby's sports bottle.

They are very cheap as well, just look in dental section near toothpaste.

Thinkstoomuch Mon 02-Nov-09 13:15:51

Still feel very bad as there hasn't been an avalanche of MNetters fessing up to doing the same.

But yes it can't be that bad or they'd have got bad tummies. They do try sucking hollow bath toys too Penthesileia, but I manage to stop them mostly and have chucked out ducks that seem uncleanable.

Right I'm binning all the vile Tommee Tippees and I'm getting something else. Then I'm off to get some denture tablets for cleaning whatever new ones I buy - thanks for that tip.

LuluSkipToMyLou Mon 02-Nov-09 13:18:28

Wait till they're older and using those pop-up sports bottles for their packed lunches - you really can't take them apart, one fell apart once and it was soooo slimy <vom>.

I give them a 15 minute soak in Milton once a week now!

claireyBANG Mon 02-Nov-09 13:20:48

The rubber bits in anyway up cups are gross too, especially if they drink milk from them <vom>

off to pop off the spout now
I always thought they were nice and hygenic, none of those built up plastic spouts to trap muck
will report back...

gorionine Mon 02-Nov-09 13:25:02

I just threw away all the ones I was using for my toddler group. I really hope none of the mums had seen before me what they looked like , (in spite of being cleaned regularely)! I would be mortified! I was totally [yuck] by them!

can't get the spout off, do you just slide a knife under and twist??

doesn't look too bad though, knife has come out clean

FourArms Mon 02-Nov-09 13:34:52

Our were always horrible too, despite going in the dishwasher every day. DS1 loved them. DS2 only gets water or squash in them.

Thinkstoomuch Mon 02-Nov-09 14:30:04

Toddler groups! I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to start taking my own to the two groups that use them.

Shriiieeek - I stuck the knife under, with the spout down so that you can get the knife underneath. Then I put the spout up and sort of twisted the knife and it popped out. Gunk under the spout and especially inside the spout. Urgggh.

I do only give water and juice in them, but they were still completely gross.

FreeTheGuidoOne Mon 02-Nov-09 14:33:27

Oh yes. Penthesileia, stare not into the Tommee Tippee cup, lest it stares back into you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now