Talk

Advanced search

Is it really vile to put a nappy bin in the dishwasher?

(14 Posts)
CoffeeMum Thu 29-Oct-09 10:42:13

DS is now 19 months old, and the small plastic bin we put his [bagged] nappies in is really starting to smell [even when empty]. Is it okay to wash it in the dishwasher, or is that too vile to even consider? Will it be hot enough in the dishwasher to kill all the germs, or is it a hygiene risk?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks smile

thelunar66 Thu 29-Oct-09 10:43:36

Wash it with hot water in the bath. Have you had it 19 months and never washed it out?? shock

alwayslookingforanswers Thu 29-Oct-09 10:44:07

yes gross - if it's one of those proper nappy bins it will ALWAYS smell no matter what you do with it.

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 29-Oct-09 10:45:47

never mix kitchen and bathroom. chuck it!

neverknowinglyundercatered Thu 29-Oct-09 10:47:46

Fill it with dettol and hot water and leave for a bit, then empty it and leave it outside for the rest of the day.

I agree with always, they do always smell a bit but the above will take the edge off it, for a while...

CoffeeMum Thu 29-Oct-09 10:50:44

Okay, okay! Suspected it was gross, thanks for confirming. Going to ditch it and splurge on a new one then [was just a normal plastic bin, cheap as chips, so no big deal].

thelunar66, yes, i am a slattern and haven't yet washed it blush Funny really - i am so OTT about some things [have just confessed on another thread to washing DS's clothes twice until he was about 14 months [once in bio, once in non-bio], but so lazy about others!

Servalan Thu 29-Oct-09 11:03:03

When the nappy bin gets horridly whiffy here, I fill it with a milton solution and let it soak. Always gets rid of the smell.

CoffeeMum Thu 29-Oct-09 11:07:52

Oh Milton - that's a good idea! Don't have any Dettol in, but i have Milton. Thanks Servalan - would rather not just throw away one lump of plastic to replace it with another, but it is getting rather stinky! blush

purepurple Thu 29-Oct-09 11:13:43

Get some of this to spray in the bin when you have rinsed it out with miltons
I put the lid of my kitchen bin in the dish-washer. It can't do any harm.
Don't buy a new one, it's a waste of money.

FaintlyMacabre Thu 29-Oct-09 11:21:48

I scald mine with a kettleful of boiling water when I remember every time it's empty. Seems to help.

CoffeeMum Thu 29-Oct-09 11:23:10

purepurple - it's soaking in Milton as we speak, so will hopefully not have to buy a new one now.

The Dettol spray looks good - but <stupid question> - do you have to wipe it off? Looks quite a handy thing to have around for highchair etc...

purepurple Thu 29-Oct-09 11:25:03

no, you don't wipe it off
just spray and let it dry
and the apple one has a nice smell
I got mine in Aldi for a couple of pounds a few weeks ago

CoffeeMum Thu 29-Oct-09 11:33:04

Thanks FaintlyMacabre - when it's had a few hours in Milton, i'll add some cleaner + boiling water, and thanks purepurple - very happy to hear you can get it in the bargaintastic Aldi, and even happier to hear you don't wipe it off. Will be very handy to have in the house - especially with imminent newborn AND DS!

maxybrown Thu 29-Oct-09 17:31:06

ours just go straight in proper bin, urgh I hate them in the house, we had a few bad experiences early on so now NO NAPPIES IN HOUSE lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now