Talk

Advanced search

My dishwasher is a complete b*****d. Please help

(11 Posts)
treedeLivingDeadery Wed 28-Oct-09 14:02:20

To be fair it was £50 from the Yeller adds, which was all we could afford, and is all we can afford so help would be greatly appreciated.

So things generally come out dirtier than they went in. To battle this I

- spent a lot of my life picking bits of yak out of the spray arm holes. The gits don't seperate so I have to do this with a toothpick and there is always something left nehind.

- sling soda crystals in and put it on an empty wash

- fill the salt and rinse things regulary.

Because it came with no instructions I don't know how often I should refil either or how much to put in. What do you do?

ANy other tips? I hat eit, it is meant to be helping but actually it is just peppble dashing my stuff with a grey/brown concrete of unknown origin.

sad angry

schroeder Wed 28-Oct-09 14:08:54

Mine is a bit like this. The only thing that seems to work is to always run a rinse cycle first.

I also read somewhere that less detergent might help(sounds daft I know and tricky to do if you are using tablets)

nannyl Wed 28-Oct-09 14:22:11

What about running it on a few hotwashes with a big glug of white vinegar in?

(i would put i a glug in the bottom and a glug in the detergent dispenser) and see if that helped!

Is it a hotpoint? similar thing happened in the dishwasher at my old work... it was gross. we had a 'dishwasher man' out loads and nothing was wrong.
In the end they gave up and bought a new dishwasher

BlurredBoundaries Wed 28-Oct-09 20:42:40

Is there an indicator to tell you when the salt runs out?

Mine also has a sitch in the rinse aid bit to set how much salt is used per wash - depending on how hard the water area.

Have to say, that I have also found the cheaper brands of detergent to not work as well as good old expensive 'Finish'.

treedeLivingDeadery Wed 28-Oct-09 20:47:06

No indicators that I can see sad I just keep pouring loads of salt into the resevoir. Hope I'm not killing the thing by accident, when I kill it I want it to be on purpose because I have a Which? researched fabulous one waiting to go in <<daydreams>>

Where would such indicators be? The salt place is full of water, so I can't see anything.

Have had to use liquid detergent as the capsules etc never dissolve in our water. Our water is hard. Beat you up hard.

herbietea Wed 28-Oct-09 20:52:10

Message withdrawn

nightmareteamgirl Wed 28-Oct-09 22:25:39

Salt you just keep adding till it overflows

Can you find the drainage bit? That might need cleaning out

Have you tried a couple of very hot empty washes?

Also what make and model is it? Someone on here might have instructions smile

treedeLivingDeadery Wed 28-Oct-09 23:02:59

In that case I'm not adding enough salt. Right, will wallop a bag in tomorrow.

It is an intergrated indesit, and probably cost about 30 pence with a kitchen instalation. Very basic one I should think. It is very quite through, so that is a positive. Positively deafening in it's cleaning powers hmm

Thank you very much people!

Do all you have ones where you get bits of yak stivk down the arms that spin, or is that just me? Do yours seperate for cleaning?

nightmareteamgirl Wed 28-Oct-09 23:35:01

Mine seperates, or at least comes off, and has never got anything caught in it really and it looks like the indesit ones do to
Found this indesit site and if you click on your dishwasher then download manual for example it shows how to take the arm apart

Hope that might help

BlurredBoundaries Thu 29-Oct-09 09:31:52

Definitely fill the salt up to the top, and rinse aid too.

You could also put this dishwasher cleaner through.

I don't work for 'Finish'. Honestly grin

Rinse off all debris from dishes before putting them in the machine. This should help to prevent any food blocking it up. This, of course, won't help if there is old food blocking it.

If you cannot get the arms clean, could you get a replacement part? And could you remove the arm and put it on a rinse cycle to ensure all the debris is out of the water pipes?

treedeLivingDeadery Thu 29-Oct-09 13:15:17

Oh thank you very much indeed for that nightmareteamgirl. That is very useful.

Crap design through, that the arms come off but don't seperate for washing. angry

Am no way using enough salt, or rinse aid either. Also had no idea it had a filter at the water inlet. So am learning lots grin

I might look into a replacement arm BlurredBoundaries.

You have all cheered me up lots. I was feeling liek my kitchen was working against me grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now