Talk

Advanced search

How do you remove sticky labels?

(12 Posts)
qwertpoiuy Mon 26-Oct-09 10:31:53

From a wooden headboard, espcially if there are over 100 stickers stuck there for years? Now DD wants headboard painted pink and teletubbie stickers removed. Tried a paint scraper but not working! Any ideas?

Tommy Mon 26-Oct-09 10:33:54

furniture polish? it works on other surfaces.
or coarse sandpaper (which you'll need if you're going to paint anyway)

MmeGoblindt Mon 26-Oct-09 10:36:06

You can buy sticky stuff remover, I think that lakeland used to stock it.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Oct-09 10:37:45

Baby oil and cotton wool?
Acetone also removes stickiness but may affect the wood so "test on an inconspicuous area first" <disclaimer emoticon>

qwertpoiuy Mon 26-Oct-09 10:38:39

Oh, I'll try the baby oil and cotton wool! Thank you all!

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 10:52:39

The best thing is the aforementioned "Sticky Stuff Remover". I got some in John Lewis recently.

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 26-Oct-09 10:54:45

book binders swear by nail varnish remover (the proper stuff with acetone in it)

you have to rub gently with cotton wool.
but i like the sound of the john lewis sticky stuff remover.

DaisymooSteiner Mon 26-Oct-09 10:59:01

You used to be able to buy something called Zoff from Boots which is for removing plasters and works well with other sticky stuff too.

EightiesChick Mon 26-Oct-09 12:49:54

Would the sticky stuff remover work on a kitchen knife too, do you think? One of ours will not come clean, there's some kind of sticky substance (no idea what blush) on it and washing up liquid is not having an effect.

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 18:11:31

It would be worth a try!

Fizzylemonade Mon 26-Oct-09 22:37:01

Sticky stuff remover is fantastic. I got mine from Lakeland.

I have used it to remove loads of stuff, mostly stickers from non-soakable things.

Should work well on headboard, you may have to apply it and it should remove the top paper/plastic layer of the sticker, then re-apply for the bottom papery bit.

Don't rush it, make yourself a nice cup of tea whilst you wait for it to soak in.

triggerfish Tue 27-Oct-09 00:47:50

I find WD40 works a treat! The problem is trying to locate the can in our garage!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now