Talk

Advanced search

How to get giant floor cushions clean?

(5 Posts)
Thandeka Sun 25-Oct-09 08:14:59

I have three giant floor cushions (about 40inches square) which my parents have had since the 70's. Me and my mum are going to get them recovered ready for the new line of the family (due feb) to clamber all over them like me and bro used to when we were tiny. But thinking they could probably do with a good clean first. I think they are too massive for even a giant launderette machine although I imagine they would wash quite well. So is my only option dry cleaning? We will make the covers washable and removable but i think the cushions probably have 40 years of dead dust mites in that probably want removing.

I seriously love these cushions and there is defo lots of life in them yet so getting rid and buying new (have never seen ones as big and fat as these ones anyhow) is not an option.

Any advice?

NancyBotwin Sun 25-Oct-09 08:35:11

I would just give them a really good vacuum - should get rid of any dust/mites. And if the new covers are made from thick fabric that should keep anything left contained inside....

Dry cleaning would probably be ££££.

Or maybe you could try that stuff you use in a tumbler dryer (if they'll fit inside) instead of dry cleaning.

somewhathorrified Sun 25-Oct-09 11:42:37

I don't know what the cushions are made of, but could you steam clean them? or spray them with an anti-bacterial and leave to dry? or just bi-carb and hoover?

JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Sun 25-Oct-09 13:16:13

Maybe you could give them a good hoover, then leave out on the line on a nice day to air out and then hoover again and give a spray with something antibactiral? Maybe add some essential oils to freshen the smell (and most are antibactirial too).

They sound great!

bloss Sun 25-Oct-09 13:30:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now