Talk

Advanced search

Want to close off an 'open-plan' room....

(8 Posts)
oxcat1 Sat 24-Oct-09 17:22:26

We leave in a rented house, so can't do anything too drastic.

It's a fairly typical Victorian mid-terrace, with two rooms downstairs and then a kitchen in a long, thin extension at the back.

The two rooms downstairs have had the dividing wall knocked through (leaving a 'frame') and to get to the sitting room (front of the house), you enter the dining room nad then turn right, where the wall has been removed.

It's been so cold recently that I'd like to close off the sitting room, so that we can preserve the heat in that one room. It has an open fire and could be really cosy, but it doesn't feel it with the dark dining room next door. I'm just not sure how best to divide it.

I was tempted to just nail a double sheet across the hole, but DH insists that if we're going to do it at all, we shoudl do it properly with a curtain rail etc etc. The thing is, surely this would be very expensive as we'd need extra long curtains to cover the 'door-length' gap, and extra wide.

Has anybody come up with a satsifactory solution to this? I think the room used to have fold-back doors as I can see where the hinges would have been, but these are long gone.

southeastastra Sat 24-Oct-09 17:24:14

how about a screen?

RubyBooBerry Sat 24-Oct-09 17:25:43

Go on freecycle and ask for full length curtains, you'll get enough to drape nicely, you could even ask for a curtain pole too!

fluffles Sat 24-Oct-09 17:28:05

if you can't get anything free from freecycle, ikea sell very long curtains because they sell them unhemmed. we've got 3m high windows and ikea curtains are long enough for us (and pretty cheap).

oxcat1 Sat 24-Oct-09 17:30:15

Thanks for all those suggestions - I hadn't really thought of Freecycle.

Fluffles - your house sounds amazing! 3m windows!

VulpusinaWilfsuit Sat 24-Oct-09 17:30:56

Charity shops often have old thick velvet curtains. Or ebay as someone else said. A sheet and a staple gun would have some effect but I agree with your DH!

fluffles Sun 25-Oct-09 21:24:25

amazing yes - warm, not so much.... thankfully we have lots of cheap thick curtains keeping the heat in.

CarGirl Sun 25-Oct-09 21:29:00

If the gap is wide enough how about a pressure shower curtain pole, then using a sewing machine create a pocket in the curtains to thread the pole through.

Means you won't have to put up a curtain pole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now