Talk

Advanced search

Spice jars

(15 Posts)
TheProvincialLady Thu 22-Oct-09 16:38:18

Does anyone have a recommendation for some good spice jars? I need a lot - about 35? My kitchen is 1930/40s style (cream and ice cream colours) and they will be sitting on shelves. I haven't found anything online but I admit to being a bit rubbish!

Speckledeggy Thu 22-Oct-09 18:08:40

I'd be interested too. I haven't managed to find anything online either!

Would also like jars you can put a teaspoon in the top as I find that really annoying!

stakethroughtheheartofgold Thu 22-Oct-09 18:12:50

i have the ikea magnetic ones all over the side of the fridge, they're pricey though, i have maybe 15 but still need more. they're great cos they're big enough to take the bags of spices you get in asian shops. utterly irresistible to passing toddlers though, with the odd attendant coriander catastrophe...

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 18:16:02

Don't get anything too big as spices really don;t keep long, especially once they are ground. Best to buy them whole if you can and grind them up yourself.

When my mum re-fitted her kitchen she ordered a whole load of jars (normal glass ones with plain white lids) and then got little cubby shelves built for them.

I think the jars cost £12 for 24. They are the shape of the bon maman ones.

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 18:17:39

these are the perfect spice jar don't you think?

JeMeSouviens Thu 22-Oct-09 18:19:09

mini kilners here

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 18:19:11

Anyway, there are loads on that website so something must be suitable!

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 18:20:40

I like those mini kilners

JeMeSouviens Thu 22-Oct-09 18:20:44

similar clip style but less fussy

JeMeSouviens Thu 22-Oct-09 18:22:43

Yes, I've been looking for mini kilners here in Canada to no avail. We went to a restaurant and they served up a dessert in one, it looked great.

JeMeSouviens Thu 22-Oct-09 18:23:20

i like these, recycled glass with cork lids

JeMeSouviens Thu 22-Oct-09 18:23:53

whoops, they're out of stock right now though.

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Oct-09 19:18:47

Thanks very much. I have decided to order some of those jam jars you suggested OMDB. DH has built some shelves for them today.

I am quite fussy about my spices so only a small amount of each one will go in the jar..the rest will stay in the pantry in the dark and I will fill the jars from that supply. I do grind most spices as I use them - I agree, they taste much better that way. I have a really good Asian grocer near me so I am really lucky.

Thanks againsmile

thumbscrewwitch Fri 23-Oct-09 19:23:34

Am very impressed that your DH has already built shelves for them, TPL - he sounds great!

love those mini kilners...

TheProvincialLady Fri 23-Oct-09 19:33:30

He is great because he does exactly what I tell himthank you thumbscrew witchsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now