Talk

Advanced search

Packed lunch advice please

(5 Posts)
nightmareteamgirl Sun 18-Oct-09 16:44:26

Hi all
DS is having his first ever packed lunch tomorrow- he has finally talked me into it after 7 weeks of school smile

But to be honest I have no idea what to give him- the school has a healthy food policy, but have said crisps are occasionally ok.

So what do you give yours?

I was thinking
1 slice of bread made into ham or tuna sandwich
A banana? Or some raisins?
and maybe a penguin biscuit? (well generic equivilant)

What do you think? Too much? Too little?
About right?

He doesnt eat carrot sticks or chopped peppers or things like that- he is more a typical 4.5 year old than a typical MN 4.5 year old blush

I am not really keen on him having packed lunches- too much hassle and I would prefer he had a hot meal, but he really really wants it, so ... I gave in and said just this once. I amy let him have one a week in the future, but I dont want to give him too much- he is a slow eater, or too little and him go hungry!!

Thanks all

IdrisTheDragon Sun 18-Oct-09 16:48:58

DS is 5 and has a sandwich, a cheese string, a penguin type biscuit/piece of cake etc, carton of drink and a fruit. It all does get eaten. I have found getting the balance right takes a bit of time.

Ivykaty44 Sun 18-Oct-09 16:54:26

five things is the wa I do pack ups

so two bread sandwich, marmite or cheese or tuna and mayo with crusts cut off when they are in infants - just makes it easier for them to eat.

drink of juice

fruit of some kind that they like

a yogurt/fruit jelly (i make i with tinned fruit ain tiny tupperwares)

rasins/grapes/biccy/peice of cake/babybel

Golda Sun 18-Oct-09 16:59:18

I give ds a tiny sandwich, a pot of fruit and a box with either 1/2 packet mini biscuits or popcorn or small piece of cake.

If I give a whole piece of fruit he tends not to eat it.

Yoghurt tends to be opened and then put back in his lunchbox.

Sometimes I substitute a sandwich for brioche/hot cross bun/ scone

Sometimes he gets cheese or cold sausage if he has no protien in his sandwich.

I give him pasta or beans in a flask quite a lot (a recent thread thought this was tantamount to giving him cyanide)

Make sure he can open everything himself.

nightmareteamgirl Sun 18-Oct-09 23:06:13

Thanks everyone

Golda I have ordered that flask for myself! it seems perfect for soup and pasta when I am out and about at lunch time (which is 2-3 days a week!)

I think I will put a cheese string in as well and hopefully he will have enough
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now