Talk

Advanced search

Ok so it's time for a MAJOR Spring clean - got any advice?

(13 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 18-Oct-09 10:06:50

OK so the season is changing, I have guests coming to stay from overseas in 3 weeks time so I want to get the house thoroughly spring cleaned.

I'm gonna do each room, and sort through clothes/toys etc and chuck out all the old tat and get rid/store wrong season clothes etc.

Does anyone have any advice, recommendations for which jogs to tackle first? etc etc

CharCharGabor Sun 18-Oct-09 10:13:31

I'm doing the same thing atm, although on a longer timescale as I want the house clean in time for when DC2 is due. Atm I'm concentrating on one room at a time, clearing any rubbish and sorting things into keep/store/bin/recycle piles. Then focus on the cleaning of the room. So far it seems to be working well smile I'm also the list queen which at least makes me feel organised! grin Good luck!

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 18-Oct-09 10:22:16

Thanks CharChar, I have made a list - am delighted with it grin but it is quite long. Just wondered if there was a sensible order in which to do things? Or just pile in?

RipMacWinkle Sun 18-Oct-09 11:19:03

I'm very impressed - this is what I'd love to do if I could get my rear in gear.

I'd think you'd want to be pretty methodical about it (lists like CharChar suggests) otherwise you might get too bogged down by starting too many jobs but finishing none? Or else just burn yourself out? At least if you work room by room, no matter when you stop you've actually acheived something rather than a wee bit in lots of rooms, which just isn't as satisfying.

Can you come and back and give us an update? I wonder if might be inspired... DH would be in shock very pleased grin

Good luck!

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 18-Oct-09 12:31:20

Thanks RipMacWinkle smile

Today I have cleaned the top of the kitchen cupboards (bleurgh) and moved the pans that used to live up there to more suitable places. Also chucked out all my baby bibs (youngest now 2 and hasn't used bibs for at least a year). Tomorrow will tackle the bedrooms!

The trouble is getting the time - I have 2 small children at home who like to make a mess as I'm trying to blitz the place. Ho hum.

Will write thorough lists for each room - joy, I love lists too. And enjoy ticking stuff off. Also I love chucking stuff out and I'm gonna be strict with myself.

nightmareteamgirl Sun 18-Oct-09 16:33:51

Does this help at all Flylady declutter ?
A Lot of it of course very naff, but the basic how to declutter is useful I think

Once decuttered you could then dtail clean the zones

The key is to do it in chunks- I do 15 mins 3 times a day. Once in morning, once after work and a third just before bed

NorbertDentressangle Sun 18-Oct-09 16:45:02

I had a blitz on the bathroom earlier and threw out a carrier bag of stuff -bottles of suncream with a tiny amount left in that won't last til next year anyway, various bottles of moisturisers/creams that have probably been open for years (and I never liked them anyway), hair gel (we don't ever use it so who knows where it came from) etc.

I've also told everyone to start using stuff up before opening new bottles-DP for example has about 4 different shower gels on the go.

The drawers and shelves look so much better now.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 18-Oct-09 16:46:08

Oh, and loads of out-of-date medicines/tablets which I'll take to the chemist tomorrow for them to dispose of

ABetaDad Sun 18-Oct-09 16:57:19

I am doing ours next week. Do one room per day so you don't get demotivated and overwhelmed.

I like to stand back and give each rom a critical eye first and then go methodically, decluttering, through cleaning, washing windows and if necessary touching up paint and doing small repairs.

When each room is done. Stop. Give yourself a little reward and do no more cleaning that day. Move on to the next room the following day.

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 18-Oct-09 21:18:31

Ah that's great people, many thanks.

Have read the flylady page and printed out her lists.

Norbert I am inspired by your bathroom, I'll do that right now.

Also fab advice abetadad. Today will do the bathrooms.

Also will ring a window cleaner I think.

Our house has horrible black slatted blinds - does anyone know how to clean them?

ClaudiaSchiffer Sun 18-Oct-09 22:31:14

Oh God, am chucking out all old medicines etc - found that i've been dosing my babies with 2 yr our of date baby paracetamol. Of course they're fine but glad it's gone grin

nightmareteamgirl Sun 18-Oct-09 22:47:44

I am sure you know Claudia, but dont chuck medicines in bin will yyou? Take it back to the chemist who incinerate it safely free of charge

Good luck- I think the detailed cleaning lists are really good

ClaudiaSchiffer Mon 19-Oct-09 10:15:13

Yay, first day over with - am in Oz so on a different time zone . . .

Have completely finished the office/pantry (don't ask) and 99% of the kitchen. Am delighted with the results so far.

Tomorrow will be tricky as am out all morning (although we were out all this morning too) but am hoping to complete the dining room and living room and finish the kitchen.

My enthusiasm is slightly waning but have booked the window cleaner so at least I don't have to worry about the filthy windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now