Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a fireguard for a gas fire please

(4 Posts)
ilovemyoboe Sat 17-Oct-09 21:23:54

We're looking for a fireguard to put round our hearth and gas fire. We would like one that will surround the whole hearth as it is very hard and has nasty edges; even if we did cover the edges I still wouldn't want the hearth exposed whilst my son is learning to crawl/walk as it's so hard.

Just been to Kiddicare today, and didn't find anything suitable. The only fireguards didn't open at the front, just at the top, so you'd need arms about 3 feet long and very bendy to get to the fire controls at the bottom of the fire. The BabyDan hearth gate looked like an option, but the chimney breast is just too long for three of them. If we put them onto the front of the chimney breast then they take up too much of the lounge as they are quite large.

Any ideas? I'm sure we're not the only people with this style of fireplace or this problem. Would be grateful for any suggestions of brands to look at or shops to check out (online preferably). We live in south Cambridgeshire.

woodforthetrees Sat 17-Oct-09 21:37:05

We used one of those big wire square ones from Argos - it covered the whole thing including surround and hooked either side so you'd have to "open" the guard to get to the fire. I'm not sure there are that many other options tbh ! This one worked great with a small crawling baby.

woodforthetrees Sat 17-Oct-09 21:38:35

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3752393/Trail/searchtext%3EFIRE+GUARD.htm - sorry this is the one !!

ilovemyoboe Mon 19-Oct-09 10:28:27

Thanks, hadn't found that one. The extending feature sounds good. I think we're just going to have to get one that we can unhook from the wall and access the fire from the side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now