Talk

Advanced search

How do I get that gorgeous smell on my washing?

(24 Posts)
mooseloose Sat 17-Oct-09 15:44:00

You know you can sometimes walk past someones washing line and it smells just gorgeous and fresh? Why doesn't mine? What am I doing wrong? Wrong powder (Bold lately)? Too much in the wash? tell me...... Thanks!

MrsChemist Sat 17-Oct-09 16:30:57

It might be like perfume and shampoo, once you use it a lot, you can't smell it anymore. If so, change washing powder often.

castille Sat 17-Oct-09 16:33:38

It's the fresh air that makes it smell so lovely. Mine smells more or less the same when dried outside whichever powder or liquid I use. When tumbled it doesn't smell of anything much.

ShinyAndNew Sat 17-Oct-09 16:35:59

My washing smells nice <imo anyway grin>

I use Daz citrus or Surf tropical and Lenor sleep easy fabric conditioner.

overmydeadbody Sat 17-Oct-09 16:39:48

Fabric softener

ninagleams Sat 17-Oct-09 17:59:28

If you're using a tumble dryer it's probably eliminating the scent of washing powder/fabric softener. Either hang the clothes on a line to dry or get a pack of those smelly sheets you put in the dryer to keep a laundry scent.

witcheseve Sat 17-Oct-09 18:03:18

My washing smells lovely and I do mostly tumble dry blush. I use bold tablets, the solid powder ones not the liquid. I don't like the liquid ones as the smell is overpowering but the tablets have a lovely fresh smell.

starwhoreswonaprize Sat 17-Oct-09 18:04:09

Bold jasmin works wonders for me.

mooseloose Sat 17-Oct-09 19:20:16

I always dry on the line though! Nothing pleases me more than a line of washing blowing smile

Pyrocanthus Sat 17-Oct-09 19:28:52

Non-smelly powder and line drying does it for me.

witcheseve Sat 17-Oct-09 22:49:00

If you line dry you then have to iron. I hate ironing. My bold is the blue one. Lovely fresh smell.

herbietea Sat 17-Oct-09 22:51:08

Message withdrawn

EightiesChick Sat 17-Oct-09 23:05:11

The above plus you need to get it straight out of the machine and on the line as soon as done. Ask me how I know blush

moocowme Sun 18-Oct-09 20:56:19

hang it out to dry over some lavender bushes. that what they did in ye olden days. lavender has mild anteseptic qualities and smells divine.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 18-Oct-09 20:58:35

"If you line dry you then have to iron"

No you don't. I iron nothing.

Waitrose non bio, Waitrose "pure" softener and line dry [bliss]

Generally the no-bio detergents smell nicer than the bio ones IMO.

lucykate Sun 18-Oct-09 21:00:18

get your dc's to catch threadworms, that way your washing always smells fresh because you have to do it so bloody often sad

cyanarasamba Sun 18-Oct-09 21:01:44

Persil Small n Mighty does it for me. I just switched from Aerial and really noticed the difference.

TurkeyLurkey Sun 18-Oct-09 21:03:50

What happened to that fabric conditioner (was it a type of lenor?) - it was a blue clear not milky liquid and that used to really make your washing smell nice for days after. Bugger, just can't remember what it was called but never see it in my local shops nowadays.

mooseloose Sun 18-Oct-09 21:10:12

I like the lenor yello, sm,ells faorly nivce, but not that strong. havent got a waitrose near me else would try that!

mooseloose Sun 18-Oct-09 21:10:46

Oh dear - didn't check my spelling!!!

ChilloHippi Sun 18-Oct-09 21:21:33

Lenor is strong smelling. I have the purple one at tehe moment.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 19-Oct-09 07:39:05

I used to use the Tescos equivalents but I stopped shopping there when they sent me a "free" copy of the daily mail with my shopping and charged me for it

sherby Mon 19-Oct-09 07:47:40

Fabric conditioner is yak. DH left a hoody around his mates house and he washed it for him, it took 2 washes just to get rid of the smell.

Dry it outside and pick a nice smelling powder

Bucharest Mon 19-Oct-09 08:01:25

Lenor Blue.

Am also using Daz (Dash here) bog standard liquid at the moment which definitely smells more than others. Liquids seem to give the clothes more perfume than powder.

I balcony dry but as live above fishmongers not sure about the "fresh air smell" shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now