Talk

Advanced search

DCs in from school: bookbags, PE kit, school fleeces everywhere. Do you have specific storage?

(9 Posts)
ampere Fri 16-Oct-09 15:58:48

We will be moving into our own house in 4 weeks. It has been a constant bugbear of mine that we fall over all the above all weekend (and most evenings) as I can't rig up storage! In my own place I'd have child height hooks for an anorak and a school fleece apiece, and maybe cubes to put PE kit/book bags in BUT I also want 'family' shoe storage, all of which needs to be near the front door!

The hall will have a reasonable amount of space but not big enough to install a specific cupboard.

What do you do with all this paraphernalia?

ampere Fri 16-Oct-09 17:20:13

bump?

ramonaquimby Fri 16-Oct-09 17:24:02

pe kit stays at school only coming home during half terms.
book bags go into their bedrooms
shoes under the stairs, i have a basket for kids shoes that stays in corner

we have a narrow hallway with no storage at all (dh doesn't like the look of hooks to clutter the space up hmm I know I know ) but the girls are getting older and bigger so really need to address it.

hannahsaunt Fri 16-Oct-09 17:27:29

Annex of hall (tiny) has hooks - fleeces go on boy hooks, book bags on floor underneath; pe kits stay in school during term. And they still ask every single day where there stuff is hmm

eyetunes Fri 16-Oct-09 17:29:20

clothes in wash bin. all other books, bags etc get thrown into the bowels of the understairs cupboard, then i spent 2-3 hours on monday morning trying to find it all again, then fill out all the forms that needed sending back, and quickly telling answers to homework . shock blush

ampere Fri 16-Oct-09 19:24:28

Ah! As organised as me!

We end up with piles of clothes hanging on the bottom stair post, SOME shoes in the hanging rack on the inside of the downstairs loo (Argos, scruffy but REASONABLY effective when used), PE kit dumped where it's dropped (school apparently insist on a weekly trip home so I can take out, shake and refold it...) and book bags- oh book bags! When they're empty or almost so, they fold limply over and won't stand up anywhere, so I prop them up somewhere with sides (behind a low level box stool in the hall, a place that becomes instantly invisible to the DSs when I tell them to fetch homework etc. Sigh.

Drives me mad!

BonsoirAnna Fri 16-Oct-09 19:26:27

I have a massive hall and a huge hall cupboard. So I don't really have this problem. But I do think that, whatever your accommodation, you need to have shoe racks and coat hooks and to insist that school bags go into bedrooms (or wherever homework is done) as soon as children get in from school.

aircraftannie Tue 20-Oct-09 21:19:30

Ikea for shoe storage cupboards, very thin so can go in narrow hallway, and put hats and gloves and bookbags on top.

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 20-Oct-09 21:22:52

Ikea have a shoe storage and hat and coat thingy (two separate bits of furniture that match) that I have coveted for ages

I have this week bought and put together an Argos wooden shoe whatnot £11.69 - does the job - a jute basket takes care of gloves, scarf (one atm but I may switch to one for each person)

Coats are my nightmare as we only have two hooks in the hall!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now