Talk

Advanced search

My sitting room layout does not work - any creative types want to offer advice? Pleeeeeeease!

(13 Posts)
RubysReturn Thu 15-Oct-09 19:47:01

french window

__________[___________]_____________
|tv |
| |
| |
|plain wall radiator|
| |
| |
|
______plain wall______________ diag door

How desperate am I? Trying to sketch a room layout on MN!

I have been moving furniture about for 1 1/2 hours and everything still looks awful. We have a 3 seat sofa, 2 armchairs and a footstool. We also have a longjohn coffee table with two little tables that can fit underneath, plus an olde worlde telly.

I cannot put the sofa in front of the radiator as it makes the room really cold.
If I put it in front of the window it makes the room really narrow and corridor like. So there is only one possible position for it. We cannot move the tv as single tv point, so that is fixed. And the bleeding door is on the diagonal, so you step through and gaze straight at tv - urg

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I have lovely oak floor, nice leather furniture and I still hate the room!

risingstar Fri 16-Oct-09 06:26:50

difficult to picture! but you can get extra long cables that you could run round the skirting which would allow you to reposition the TV?

we have a bedroom with similar issues, am getting quotes to move the radiator as atm it is behind a chest of drawers ( can only assume that nobody had clothes in the 1970s when the house was built!)

frazzled74 Fri 16-Oct-09 09:36:39

could you put a nice radiator cover over radiator and make a feature of it, maybe mirror over t or nice picture.Make it a focal point to distract from tv.

NancyBotwin Fri 16-Oct-09 09:44:49

Obv I don't know how big your room is but the first thing that strikes me is that maybe you have too much furniture? Is it possible to do without one of the armchairs and the footstool? then the sofa can go on the plain wall (which is where I assumed you meant it had to go) and one armchair could go (maybe diagonally) in the corner where the french doors are.

Think there is a website where you can draw floor plans and move furniture around - will try to find it...

NancyBotwin Fri 16-Oct-09 09:53:31

here

Go to the 3D room design bit in the design your home section

frazzled74 Fri 16-Oct-09 11:02:25

wow love that link nancy, i will be on pc all day now.

ampere Fri 16-Oct-09 17:18:08

Grr. Can't get it to work. My room isn't allowed any doors or windows!

RubysReturn Fri 16-Oct-09 20:47:51

Thanks for ideas (tinternet went splat after posting!).

We may have too much furniture (though one seat per bottom and a footstall), but there is plenty of room around each piece, i am just never convinced it looks nice.

I think if room was a foot wider, it would be much more flexible and less corridor like - it is a far size, I just think the proportions are a tiny bit out

RubysReturn Fri 16-Oct-09 20:48:36

argh footstool

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 16-Oct-09 20:59:36

If you're restricted by the position of the telly (and that seems to be what's bothering you the most), I'd agree with Risingstar about running cabling round the skirtings.

Put the telly in its ideal spot and work from there.

Or you could get a cupboard to hide it in when no one's watching.

nightmareteamgirl Sat 17-Oct-09 00:57:53

I do love my deco
I designed my living room using it and am so so delighted with the result

No ideas on yours sorry- too mcuh trouble picturing it, but would like to see your 3D render if you do it

Heres mine -lounge

RubysReturn Sat 17-Oct-09 08:47:41

Very nice, clean cut but not boring. It does show your name and pic if that bothers you though!

nightmareteamgirl Sat 17-Oct-09 12:56:51

Thanks Ruby, I love my living room now, it was so horrid and crowded before, but I struggled to invisage it

Re name etc, Nah, not worried about that at all, but thank you for letting me know- that could have been awkward smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now