Talk

Advanced search

Toilet blockage ... any tips on clearing ..... please!

(15 Posts)
Millie1 Mon 12-Oct-09 20:36:20

Sorry, it's a bit grim ... the waste pipe from the toilet must have some 'waste matter' (for want of a better description!) somewhere along it. Each time I clean the loo, it's spotless but after 2 days it's staining brown in the bottom of the pan. If I put gloves on I can't get any distance along the pipe as it bends upwards immediately. Tried hanger tonight but obviously that's no use as it would need to be flexible. Is there anything really strong which I can pour in and leave to dissolve the offending matter?

TIA

Millie1 Tue 13-Oct-09 10:25:29

Pretty please ... is there anything really strong which I can pour down there to deal with it? Thanks! grin

southeastastra Tue 13-Oct-09 10:28:31

have you tried a plunger?

pollywobbledoodle Tue 13-Oct-09 10:30:12

Tip a big bucket of water into the pan quickly.
wait for it to go
pour a kettle full of hot but not boiling water into the pan with a glug of bleach
leave for half hour then flush

Helium Tue 13-Oct-09 12:29:05

Try unfuling a wire coat hanger (or get a longish peice of wire) and having a root around in there - and ordinary plastic one wont really help - as like you said its not fleixble.
Otherwise I would perhaps give bicarbinate of soda a try..? Avoid shoving a load of different things down there as you want to clear the blockage not cause an explosion!!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 13-Oct-09 12:49:16

caustic soda is what you want. Nasty stuff but does the job.

bodycolder Tue 13-Oct-09 12:51:02

Coat hanger followed by hot hot hot water with biological washing powder and then finally fill a big bucket with cold water stand on a chair and pour from a great height!can you tell I've done this before grin

Millie1 Tue 13-Oct-09 14:43:31

Thanks a million ladies! Okay, have tried the wire coat hanger and it's just not going anywhere.

So, I'll try the bucket of water ... do I just tip it in on top of what water is in the pan and then flush? Then follow up with hot water with bleach or maybe the washing powder as I have tried bleach before. Will non-bio powder do? grin

All else failing ... where does one buy caustic soda? And does it get added neat?

Rosa Tue 13-Oct-09 14:46:34

That Mr Muscle liquid stuff pour leave flush ...

luckyblackcat Tue 13-Oct-09 14:48:48

I would go for a pump action plunger, buy at local plumbers merchants/diy store - looks like the love child of a balloon pump and a bicycle pump.

My tip for the future...never flush anything but organic matter and loo roll down - I don't care if they say 'flushable wipes' they don't actually mean it and no sanitary products - bag it and bin it. Also do not use a rim block, they regularly fall off and block the pipes.

Good luck.

jalopy Tue 13-Oct-09 19:21:03

I second caustic soda. It's brutal.

Millie1 Tue 13-Oct-09 22:31:17

Okay, I'm going for the kill tomorrow grin.

Luckyblackcat ... nothing down there that shouldn't be ... completely organic but obviously it lodged or sank rather than floated along as it's supposed to do! It's in the children's bathroom so DH & I are off the hook and the kids are, naturally, saying it couldn't have been them hmm

Think I'll try the caustic soda! Thanks all!

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 22:34:18

Are you sure the blockage is near the loo? It could be further along the pipe. Sometimes you need to get into the sewer outside (you can buy drain rods from B&Q but this is a job for DHs in my HO grin)

luckyblackcat Wed 14-Oct-09 14:13:59

yep, tis my DC bathroom that causes all the issues in my house too.

They, of course, cannot understand why it is only theirs that causes so many problems - including a flood/ceiling collapse due to blocked and then burst soil pipe, hence the obsession with not putting anything down.

Sadly I was loading the washing machine in the room below at the time, thinking 'what is that dripping from the ...OH DEAR GOD!!'

muddlinleigh Wed 14-Oct-09 14:54:06

Instead of buying a plunger if you have a string mop, try wraping a few plastic bags round the head and give it a few pumps.

I've got one of these modern low water using bogs and it's a nightmare for getting blocked if you get too carried away with the toilet paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now